I quit smoking. I'm losing my mind. Help!

2»

Comments

• I, too, encourage you to hang in there. I watched my mother-in-law try to quit for 10 yrs. After 50 years of smoking, she went to the doctor and got Zyban (Xyban?) and quit. My father-in-law had quit 30 years earlier. She had a little motivation: her daughter, my wife, came down with throat and neck cancer. The doctors attributed the cancer to 2nd hand smoke from growing up with a smoker, since my wife had never smoked.

The good news - my wife is coming up on her 5th anniversary cancer free - she has beat the odds - and my mother-in-law hasn't smoked in 5 yrs, and claims she hasn't even had a craving for it.

Don't give up.
  • I'm on my way to being an ex-smoker too. I am using an over the counter nicotine lozenge with excellent results. But, when I stop feeling like I would trade my favorite dress and favorite handbag for a cigarette, I'll truly feel like I've conquered this awful addiction! Good Luck Linda!
  • My husband and I both quit on August 17th - the day after his birthday. We are working really hard on it - it's difficult but you can do it. Let's celebrate in a year when we're all cigarette-free. And think of the money you're saving.

• Wow! You're all still here! It's day 6 and I'm hanging in there. I've dropped a pound or two this week drinking extra water and doing warehouse laps, so I feel pretty good! You have all seen me through a really tough week, and I appreciate it. I've wanted to quit for a while but never made the effort. I've waited for over 3 1/2 years wearing braces to get lower jaw surgery to properly align my teeth and jaw bones. My surgeon gave me an Oct 1 surgery date, but he will not operate on anyone who has smoked within 30 days (he says I wouldn't heal well and may have complications if I still smoke), so I went for it. So I'll be out from Oct 1 to about Dec 1 but will check in on the forum from home when I get bored and lonely! Have a great weekend, everybody, and thanks again!
  • Just stopped in today to check on how your're doing - sounds like you're doing great!

One of the things I forgot to mention that has helped me when I quit smoking was to immediately have my teeth cleaned - I guess jaw surgery is a little bit more radical than that, but it's also correct that you'll heal a lot faster once you get the toxins out of your system. (I've even approved nicotine gum and patches for employees under workers' comp to help them heal faster after back surgery!)

Also - I was off work for 6 weeks last fall/winter after major abdominal surgery. I'd only quit smoking a couple of months before that, so I was a little concerned that the forced inactivity and lack of human contact might result in my starting up again. My alternative - I started crocheting afghans. Made four of them for relatives for Christmas, and have actually expanded this into a little business this year. The afghans are beautiful, and they don't smell like smoke! (Although, there's usually a little cat hair worked into the pattern.)

Keep up the great work!

• Linda~
    GO FOR IT! Good luck on quitting, and also on your surgery. Let us know every day how it goes . We are all on your team and rooting for you!

Chari
  • Just checking in again to make sure you are doing ok. Someone earlier mentioned the concept of paying yourself what you would have spent on cigarettes -- it is a great idea -- I started out doing that and it was amazing how quickly the money piled up. It should be spent on something totally self-indulgent!

I stopped after a while, but wish I had kept it up. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK -- WE'RE ALL STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!
  • Happy Monday morning, folks! Made it through the weekend without much difficulty - went to the Panthers game (we won! we won!) and did really well. You are all giving such good advice, and crocheting sounds good - the hardest time has been after dinner - we go for a walk in the evenings now - but after all the chores are done and it's time to relax, I need to stay busy. It's time to pick up a hobby! I'm saving $25.00 a week or so, and that ought to buy a LOT of yarn! Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice - one hour at a time!
  • Keep us posted. We want to know how you're doing.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Well Linda, I apologize for not having checked in on you for a spell. I hope things are still going well, you're feeling better (except for the visit of Isabell) and still on track. I expect things may be a bit hectic right now, but let us know how you are doing - hurricane and smoking w/drawal.