Weird Product Warnings

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-31-03 AT 08:22PM (CST)[/font][p]In the litigous society that we have, it isn't surprising that products are now coming out with so many warnings for use. Here is a website, take a few minutes when you get a chance. It makes you wonder, for there to be a warning, it must mean that someone had tried it or complained about it.

[url]http://dumbwarnings.com/[/url]

Here are a few of my favorites:

Rowenta Iron
Warning: Never iron clothes on the body.

500-piece puzzle
Some assembly required.

Nabisco Easy Cheese
For best results, remove cap.

Unknown Hair Coloring
Do not use as an ice cream topping.
(okay, doesn't this person deserve to get poisoned?)

Bowl Fresh
Safe to use around pets and children, although it is not recommended that either be permitted to drink from toilet.

Nytol Sleep Aid
Warning: May cause drowsiness

The one that I personally saw on my stroller was a warning to "remove toddler before attempting to fold stroller". Boy, as a first time mom, I am sure glad they told me that !!! x:D

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've also loved the warning on sunshades for the front window of your car:

Remove before driving.
  • My hair dryer has a tag on the plug with a circle and a slash over a person in the bathtub and warns not to immerse in water.

The instructions for my sewing machine caution against placing fingers under the needle.

Sunscreen says for external use only (where the heck else would you put it?).

Anything that says "keep away from children"...I suppose most of us have common sense but there must be lots of dummies out there that need to be told not put plastic bags in their baby's crib if manufacturers felt the need to develop a warning.

• Unfortunately if the warning labels are not there some one will sue even though it is common sense.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-10-03 AT 12:48PM (CST)[/font][p]In my e-mail this morning:

In Honor of Stupid People

In case you needed further proof that the human race is doomed through stupidity, here are some actual label instructions on consumer goods.

On a Sears hairdryer: Do not use while sleeping.
    (Damn, and that's the only time I have to work on my hair).

On a bag of Fritos: You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.
    (the shoplifter special)?

On a bar of Dial soap: "Directions: Use like regular soap."
    (and that would be how???....)

On some Swanson frozen dinners: "Serving suggestion: Defrost."
    (but, it's "just" a suggestion).

On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on bottom): "Do not turn upside down."
    (well...duh, a bit late, huh)!

On Marks &Spencer Bread Pudding: "Product will be hot after heating."
    (...and you thought????...)

On packaging for a Rowenta iron: "Do not iron clothes on body."
    (but wouldn't this save me more time)?

On Boot's Children Cough Medicine: "Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication."
    (We could do a lot to reduce the rate of construction accidents if we could just get those 5-year-olds with head-colds off those forklifts.)

On Nytol Sleep Aid: "Warning: May cause drowsiness."
    (and...I'm taking this because???....)

On most brands of Christmas lights: "For indoor or outdoor use only."
    (as opposed to...what)?

On a Japanese food processor: "Not to be used for the other use."
    (now, somebody out there, help me on this. I'm a bit curious.)

On Sainsbury's peanuts: "Warning: contains nuts."
    (talk about a news flash)

On an American Airlines packet of nuts: "Instructions: Open packet, eat nuts."
    (Step 3: maybe, uh...fly Delta?)

On a child's superman costume: "Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly."
    (I don't blame the company. I blame the parents for this one.)

On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
    (Oh my God...was there a lot of this happening somewhere?)

• Boots? Marks and Sparks? Sainsbury's?
    Has there been a British invasion in Arizona?
  • Did I ever tell you guys about when I bought that popular Swedish chain saw a few years ago and now I sing soprano in the choir?
  • Who knows where some of these e-mails originate from...could very well be across the pond.

Geez Ray, hope you at least got some good firewood out of it.
  • This is kind of gross. On any bag of olean chips the warning says "may cause anal leakage". Not even sure what that is but its on the bag and I'm not buying them!
  • I remember when that Olestra - potato chip thing came out. I think that the studies showed that there could be some side effects, but that was if you ate bags of chips, every day, for the rest of your life, then you might get enough of the "bad stuff" in your system to develop these symptoms.

It's just like the cell phone/radiation thing. I believe that there is radiation, however, the studies that I heard was that you practically had to have the cell phone stuck to the side of your head 24/7 for the rest of your life too. Not that I don't believe in taking precautions, but it hasn't stopped me from using my cell phone.

It is this society that is sue happy. Some of these warnings are really ridiculous. I almost wonder if we should skip the warnings and eliminate some of the gene pool (just kidding of course). Makes me think of a sign I just saw "there is plenty of room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes". x:D
  • >> It makes you wonder, for there to be a warning, it must mean that someone had tried it or complained about it.

It's a lot like our personnel policies... Everytime someone looks at a policy and says something like "Duh..." or "That's common sense", I point out that most of our policies (if not all) are reactions to stunts other employees have tried.
  • I guess my GM and Production manager (the two top guys) are in imminent danger. They DO have their cellphones attached to their ears. Some people swear they have seen them standing side by side talking to eachother on their cellphones!