What is my Value?

Hi! This is my first post! Yeah! Well here it goes: My General Manager came by this morning with a little assignment. He has asked everyone to answer this question:

What value do you bring to the Company?

I have already came up with my answer, but I am having second thoughts. Knowing my General Manager, I'm sure there is a catch.

How would you answer this question?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is your answer?. . and tell us more about your GM
  • Well here it is:

Value? Good old Webster's Dictionary defines Value as: "relative or assigned worth or importance. Worth? Importance? How am I valuable? What worth or importance do I bring to the team?

Well let's see.... I'm at work and I do my job. I help out were I can. iwill stay until the job gets done. If I have questions, I ask or research I don't guess. (Even though many find this little trait of mine annoying.) I want the job done right the first time. I take pride in my work.

I am an important part of this team. My deadlines are met, I assist other departments and I care about the Company. If I feel something is wrong I ask or offer a solution. At times I need a little guidance or ask for direction, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I see it as a way for me to grow.

What do I bring tot he Team? My knowledge, my skills, I work hard and get my job done, I meet my deadlines, I help others, I take pride in my work and I care!

Long winded I know! Sorry. My General Manager is a great guy. He loves change and he is always looking for ways to improve operations.

Hope this helps!
  • Broken down into my base components, my value is about $2.63 according to the scientists. x;-)
  • My first response would be I am only here to add beauty to the office by sitting pretty, and after all, I didn't ASK for this job! I merely applied for it.

I guess when pressed (coz no one would believe my first attempt), I would have to reply that when wearing my HR hat I help the company avoid lawsuits and government penalties by keeping it in compliance. I help keep the morale of the employees up which leads to improved produtivity. By researching benefit options I also save company benefit dollars and add to morale. I could go on and on, but I think this is where your GM is heading Cheryl. Of course, you know him better than I do. Is he looking for you to sell yourself and your efficiency, etc, or is he looking to find out the value of your job? It might be a good idea to have answers for both perspectives.

Good luck!

• I think you are off to a great start and Nae Nae gives good advice re value of job vs your value. . and then there are values! Would guess he wants your value given the way you wrote the question. Do you know his agenda and what he wants to do with this?

For fun, I "translate" your list and come up with dependability, loyalty, throughness, dedication, initiative, eagerness. I think it is important tho that you answer it as YOU really feel, which you have done.

• The things you posted about your value are great. They are honest. But, you know he's got a motive....he knows better than to ask that question of everyone without knowing what he intends to do with the answers...and that's his motive. He awaits everyone's written response and then he will translate that to the company's bottom line. The only thing I would do, to add to your excellent start, is to give additional values that translate to the company's bottom line and add value to the company. Things like, "What I do well on a daily basis saves this company perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuit avoidance and repeat recruiting costs. This company can expect me to provide excellent training strategies that produce a quality workforce. My department's value as a labor law mentor and company policy/procedure guide is immeasurable." No matter what he thought of your department before, it is bound to be enhanced by your answer. Give it your best shot. Don't be shy! x:-)
  • I like your answer. If it were MY boss, who is a total "numbers" guy, I'd do an analysis of the financial impact I have on the company. Reduced turnover, reduced w/c experience, better quality of staff therefore better service, etc. etc. etc.

I guess, not knowing his motive, I'd give a two part answer. One that includes YOURS and the numbers.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 08:24PM (CST)[/font][p]I completely agree with everyone's posting - even Beagle's x;-) (the worth part - just kidding). The only thing that I would add would be examples of your work. For instance, when you state that you stay until the work is done - list the projects that you assisted on that were big ticket items which resulted in the customer's satisfaction with the company, kept the account, reduced labor hours, etc.. The same is true for your other accomplishments. I agree with others that there is probably a motive behind the question - I mean if the boss is asking you what value you bring to the company - then there must be some question in his mind (although not necessarily negative). Use the opportunity as a job interview - answering questions based on real, proven results. Go get 'em tiger!
  • I'd be interested to know what the motive is behind the question. I wish management here would ask me that. I think your answer is a good one, and the advice from the forumites would be good additions. I don't know how I'd answer, it would take some thought to phrase it appropriately in context of the motive behind the question. I think this is a good thing for us all to think about, to remind ourselves that we are dedicated, interested in others, hard working and motivated. There are a lot of well informed, funny and intelligent folks on this forum, and I've learned so much. It would be fun, though, to turn in Parabeagle's answer. Chemically, about two bucks.
  • If you have written objectives or organizational goals, tell him your value in relation to those objectives or goals. We have core competencies for each salary grade that I always use as a guide when I do my self assessments.