Pop Ups

This is a new computer so I know it has not been to any sites it shouldn't have been (yet). Still it continues to get little pop ups in the lower right corner advertising ladies of the evening, x-rated sites and bargains on, shall we say, personal services available to discreet ladies and gentlemen. The hookup is AOL. What causes this stuff and can it be eliminated? It seems to have started when I began clicking onto The Forum.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I get all kinds of stuff, especially email, from the kind of sites I've never visited. My son works for AOL and he set us up at home with a pop-up blocker. He has a blocker on his email at work, so only people he authorizes can send him email. But, I don't get any junk at home.
  • If you have AOL 8, you can block popups. Go to help to find out how.
  • We use a cable based system at home and at work and we never get pop-ups. We also have some fairly in-depth filters. I believe one of the ones we use in Cleanster which cost about $3/month. It works wonders.
  • If you are using Windows 2000 try the following:

1. Hold down CTRL and ALT and press Delete
    2. Press task manager to open up task manager
    3. Click the Process tab near the top of that window
    4. Find every instance of WINSERVS or WINSERVN or similar files
    5. Click on one then click end process under the list
    6. Repeat steps 4-5 for each instance in the list
    7. Clost the task manager

Also try the following but be carefrul

1. Click on start, go to programs then to startup
    2. Find anything similar to WINSERVS or WINSERVN
    3. Right click each of them and click delete in the menu that appears
    4. Restart your cpu
  • There's something you can download called Ad-Alert. It's free, and once you've downloaded it, you can run it every few days to keep the pop-ups at bay. It's not 100% but it's helped alot. Find it at ad-alert.com