What I missed during the blackout

My daughter and I had a conversation about what we missed most during the blackout. She is 21 really (as versus my Jack Bennyish 39). Thought this would make an interesting thread. She missed her radio/cd player and air conditioning. If she hadn't had the telephone, she really would have gone crazy. I missed elevators (live on the 15th floor). I, also, missed electric lights (flashlights and candles just aren't the same). And, if I couldn't have had my cup of coffee the next morning, I would have driven my daughter crazy. So, what modern conveniences can't you live without?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would have been fine because I am an avid reader but BF and son would have driven me crazy if they didn't have TV. The only thing I couldn't live without is the air conditioner. Yes, I am one of those people who like it cold and makes life miserable for her coworkers. The irony of that is that the GM gave me the only key to the temperature control.
  • I would have missed my hair blower and water for my shower. Fortunately the power came back on before I needed the hair blower and my area was able to maintain the water flow. What an experience though!
  • I would drop dead without my coffee maker. No, no, no, I can not use a stove top perk thing (my gas burners are electric ignite anyway), it must be my Mr. Coffee that I set the night before so that when I wake up I can smell the coffee and have a reason to get out of bed.
  • I'm with you. Can't survive without the morning coffee. When Hurricane Andrew hit south Louisiana years ago we were without power for a couple of days. On the morning after the storm, I brewed a small pot of coffee with an old drip pot. My kitchen was totally electric, so I set up two 2x4 boards with a cookie cooling rack across the top and a can of sterno underneath. When the water finally came to a boil, I brewed the coffee, just enough for my husband and I to have one cup. He walked outside with his cup to survey the damage, a neighbor noticed he had coffee, and I got to spend the rest of the morning brewing coffee for the neighbors. But it gave us good memories.
  • I admire your ingenuity! If I found myself in the same position I'd be rubbing two sticks together and using the perk coffee pot I bought for camping trips. I've freely lent out my camping equipment to anyone who has asked EXCEPT for my coffee pot.

Kind of the same as far as food needs...when I was a teenager a water main break ruptured a major gas line in the tunnel near my home. There was an explosion and fires everywhere. The gas was shut off for days so no one could cook. McDonalds was one of the few places that used electricity to cook so that was the place to be, it was standing room only.
  • At my house, we were only out for about 20 minutes so I didn't miss much. But what I did miss in that 20 minutes was having some form of contact with the outside world. I had no battery operated radios, no tv, no telephones (all of mine were portable and the cell phone lines were tied up), no way of knowing what was going on.

I was very happy to see that during the crisis most of us dropped our prejudices and acted as one human race, disregarding race, religion, national origin or sexual orientation, I think you know the rest. There is nothing like a crisis to help us remember that we are all human. Sorry for the rambling, I just needed to say it.
  • When the tornados do their damage around here - we are sometimes without electricity for a while. It is ALWAYS the coffee that I miss. You'll see people driving all over town - not to rubberneck, but to find a convenience store or fast food place that has coffee.

During the summer I would also miss air conditioning.
  • >When the tornados do their damage around here - we are sometimes
    >without electricity for a while. It is ALWAYS the coffee that I miss.
    > You'll see people driving all over town - not to rubberneck, but to
    >find a convenience store or fast food place that has coffee.

I'm surprised Starbucks hasn't caught onto this... up here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Starbucks -- seems like there's one on every other corner. Missing a heckuva marketing opportunity. x;-)

• Speaking of dead cats ...

We lost power in our plant a month or so ago when a squirrel inadvertently fried himself in a nearby transformer. The power was out for about 2-1/2 hours, so we "cellar dwellers" had to go upstairs where there are at least windows and ambient light. Didn't miss much that day - the coffee pots were full, and I had a crocheting project I was able to work on.

After coffee, I think I'd miss my computer the most - there's not much I can do on my job without it!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 08:14AM (CST)[/font][p]Let me date myself first - 42yr. I live off the beaten path in Lakeville, MA, on a hill overlooking a pond. We often lose power because of downed branches. I almost look forward to it. We have old fashioned oil lamps with reflectors in most rooms so when the power goes out we still have light to read or play cards or just sit and enjoy the peace and quite. During hurricane season when we lose power for a couple days (also meaning the well goes) we have to make do with a neighbor's old outhouse (makes you appreciate the inventer of indoor plumbing) and bath in the pond (its like being a kid again). The people in the area are always friendly - but without power, we are even more likely to visit and make sure everyone is all right, etc.

About coffee, etc. Find your old teakettles, etc., and boil the water on your grill.