Cheerleader

Okay how many of you have had listed somewhere on a resume Cheerleader. I am not knocking cheerleaders - but hey when you graduate 20 years ago do you think listing you were a cheerleader is going to get you a job? At the GAP Maybe.

Anyone else have proud Cheerleaders apply?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I just interviewed a candidate for an assistant mgr job at one of our properties who listed the fact she was a cheerleader. She still has that type of personality and the interview was tough to get through without gagging. I have a really tough time with unnaturally bubbly types.
  • Ok, I JUST can't stand cheerleaders! I was an athelete in high school, and while I understand that some cheerleading (SOME) can be atheletic, I, well, no one, could stand the cheerleaders. And the worst thing was that a ton of my friends were in fact, cheerleaders, or worse, on the dance squad. I was an equal oppurtunity witch to them all. And I admit it. PLEASE no cheerleaders start sending hate mail. Maybe my school was just different, and other schools had fab. cheer squads. We just made fun of ours!!!!
  • PS....Listing it on a resume....I do not think so!!!
  • Okay, as a former Cheerleader I have to chime in on this message. I do take some offense to NicholeLee's "cheer bashing" message however I did get use to it over the years in High School. I was in a bunch of sports - Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, and Swimming - and I found being a Cheerleader one of the more fun sports that I played in High School.

However, I only put that I was a Cheerleader on my resume for the first job that I got right out of High School and on my applications to college. I would be embarrassed for my self if I put it on my resume now although I have only been out of High School for 7 years. As an HR professional, I would think that it was kind-of strange that someone put it on their resume if they have been out of High School for many years. Are they still trying to live in the past? I guess that High School is the best years of your life for some people – mine were my college years!

• Ok, see, at least you had other interests. ALL our cheerleaders talked, breathed (spelling??!), ate, drank was cheering.

• I had one come across my desk a couple of weeks ago who was a "Certified Cheerleader" recognized by the National Cheerleader Association. According to the resume she has been a member since 1975.
  • >I had one come across my desk a couple of weeks ago who was a
    >"Certified Cheerleader" recognized by the National Cheerleader
    >Association. According to the resume she has been a member since
    >1975.

Did she state how she kept up her certification all these years?

• Did she have to pass a written test?
  • Here picture this one... Don, Parabeagle and me as cheerleaders. Show of hands, how many of you can see or would like to see us dressed as cheerleaders waving pompoms?
  • Speak for yourself Ray! I personally enjoy watching cheerleaders and lust after them regularly at Saints games. There ain't much else to watch at Saints games. I don't see a problem with listing cheerleading in the activities and accomplishments section of resumes if the applicant is, say, under 25. Hell, both of the Senators from MS were cheerleaders at Ole Miss...Thad Cochran and Trent Lott. My son dated a head cheerleader for 4 years and I always pretended she was my girlfriend, not his (but only in my mind). When I was in school, as I recall, they were the most popular girls, had the brightest smiles and the neatest personalities and were never without a date. They were all very sharp girls and never made the 'HO' list. Just my recollection.
  • I am not sure how she has kept her certification up all these years. She did have them listed under the "Professional Eperience" section of her resume. I have not started interviewing for this position yet so I have not had a chance to speak with her about her cheerleading skills.
  • Think I've shared this one with you all before...not a cheerleader, but a "bunny"

Direct Quote from the resume...

"7/1979 - 5/1982 Playboy Resort Lake Geneva, WI
    Yes I was
    Coordinated celebrity arrivals and departures. "

• If you guys want to see some exceptional cheerleaders, rent the movie "The Replacements."