Fit to be Tied

No, I'm not angry or upset or anything like that. I am speaking about being tied sartorily.

Our local US congressional representative was in the area taking a tour with the president of the county Chamber of Commerce (I happen to be on the board of directors). Because of my connection to the chamber, my employer was selected for a plant tour. Of course being an election year, the representative was eager to shake hands and make a speech.

Anyway, for the first, or maybe second time in about 2 years, I wore a tie to work. Wanted to make sure I was invited to be part of the entourage - usually us HR types are kept locked in our offices when dignitaries come through and not allowed out until the coast is clear.

So, for you guys out there my question is, how many of you dress formally, as in wear a tie to work on a regular basis?

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Geez, Ray, it sounds like you're whining! Don't like wearing ties, do we? Personally, I wear a jacket and tie four days a week (blue jeans, Nikes and polo shirt on Fridays). Better be glad you don't work for my company. That extremely casual look in your pinup photo would be LOOOOONG gone (and I enforce the dress code, pal). x;-)
  • OK, guess I am whining. Actually, I wore a tie everyday for many years. Then we went to casual Friday, then we hired a 5-day-per-week casual VP who wears a tie only VIPS are here. I figured it isn't good to dress better than the top guy.
  • I wear a tie most days. Thats because of my interactions with the public and customers. However, I hate it. I also keep a jacket in my office in case something major should come up. You'll have to let us know if you actually got to come out of your cage.
  • Since I'm on the Chmaber board of directors I whined to be included and I was. Only one faux pas, while the plant tour was going on, I had to gather everyone in the cafeteria so the congressman could address everyone. So, while he was touring everyone was leaving their workstations to hear him speak. Oh well, it turned out OK. Our CEO got a big attaboy for allowing him to speak to the entire workforce.
  • Wear a tie every day but Friday. "Clothes make the man" I don't mind at all.
  • Actually I should qualify my previous answer. NORMALLY I wear a jacket and tie Mon-Thurs. However, today the tie comes off as soon as I'm done with my candidate interview because it was 100 degrees yesterday and supposed to be 100 today. We do make exceptions for inclement weather (either hot or cold).
  • Geez, Parabeagle, it sounds like you're whining! Are you saying it is 100 degrees in your office?

Couldn't resist that.
  • When it comes to heat, I have a black belt in whining!x:'(
  • And you want to move to Alabama?????You will be whining continuously. .
  • But everything in Alabama's air conditioned. Besides, my (girlfriend? Significant other? Buddy? Pal? Whatever) is well aware of my whining. However, I should also mention that last January I spent the coldest two weeks in years down in Alabama. It was in the teens at night and only the 20s during the day.
  • Sounds like a nice warm day in NY in January.
  • I never wear a tie, but I do wear stockings in 100 degree heat! I cut my teeth in the banking industry. You didn't grace the front door of the executive suite without men wearing ties and jackets and ladies with stockings and jackets.
  • I am currently in the banking industry. A couple years back we went to a business causual dress from Memorial Day through Labor Day and professional dress the remainder of the year. This basically means that the men don't have to wear a tie during this time. Men can wear their usual button down collar shirt with no tie, or with a tie if they prefer, (only the president and EVP continue to wear a tie) or they can wear a casual knit shirt. I have got up on my soap box every year claiming that we have allowed a gender biased dress code to develop. I may receive a few gender biased remarks, but so be it. We have allowed the "professional" dress code for our female employees to sink so low over the past few years that there is now no difference between the business casual or professional dress code for our ladies. How can they show up in what is basically an oversized T-shirt with a necklace and a belt arount it and call it professional dress? This is a discipline issue that I have yet been able to get addressed by the powers that be. So why have the change in dress codes for the men when we do not for the women. Our customer base does not change during this time period. We do require our ladies to wear hose or socks at all times, but the men must wear socks too. Thanks for the vent. I am preparing to once again "preach" this subject at our Cabinet meeting in the near future.
    Have a great day,
    Dutch2
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-30-03 AT 02:33PM (CST)[/font][p]Okay, I wear a tie everyday- I interact with customers and I have to set an example. I do however loosen the tie when I'm in the office and then straighten it when I'm on the floor. And I refuse to wear a jacket unless the big wigs are here-it's not a requirement. And lately even then I haven't been wearing a jacket. I feel too resticted in a jacket. And for those who do wear tie, please tell me you are not sporting the double-windsor knot. My grandfather taught me how do a tie and that's what he showed me. It makes the knot way to big! I quickly learned to do a four-in-hand or a single windsor, and I'll never go back. :)

And I'm very particular about how the tie fits. It has to have the dimple right below the knot in the middle and it has to rest right at my belt buckle. Sometimes it takes me a good five minutes or more to get it right. I know I need help. I looking for a support group.
  • HRSage: You really DO need help! And you from California - the most laid back state in the nation. Didn't know anyone there wore ties. All I have seen are tshirts under jackets (maybe) and shoes worn without socks!

Suggest either a support group for GQ Addicts or go to the NAATP (National Association for the Advancement of Tied People!).
  • I'm thinking that I might want to revisit this necktie thing after reading this:

July 28, 2003 -- Depending on your tastes, wearing neckties may be an assault to some folks' vision. According to a new study, wearing them too tightly may harm your own.

Researchers say that a too-tight necktie may increase the risk of glaucoma by boosting blood pressure inside the eyes to dangerous levels. Specifically, a tight necktie constricts neck veins and raises the pressure in the eyes. Glaucoma, which afflicts at least 3 million Americans and is the leading cause of blindness in the U.S., usually occurs when pressure in the eyes increases to dangerous levels.

In their study, published in the August issue of the British Journal of Ophthalmology, researchers noticed a small but significant increase in this intraocular pressure in men who wore tight neckties. The 40 men studied -- half of them glaucoma patients and the others with no obvious vision-threatening condition -- were observed under three scenarios. When their neckties were tightened for three minutes, intraocular pressure spiked in 60% of the glaucoma patients and 70% of the healthy men. There were no such increases when they loosened their ties for three minutes or while wearing open-collared shirts.

Loosen Up

Does this mean that neckwear will soon join a list of established risk factors for glaucoma that includes being older than age 40; of African-American, Irish, Russian, Japanese, Hispanic, or Scandinavian descent; or having diabetes, hypertension, poor vision, or a family history of glaucoma?

Maybe not, but it does suggest that when it comes to neckwear, tight isn't right -- at least when it comes to protecting your vision.

"No one says you have to strangle yourself," says study author Robert Ritch, MD, chief of glaucoma services and surgeon director at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. "If you can't get your finger in between your neck and your collar easily, it's too tight."

Ritch tells WebMD that he conducted the study with other New York researchers because he noticed that in his own patients -- especially those with thick necks -- their intraocular pressure would decrease when he had them loosen their neckties during an eye exam.

• I wore a tie every day of my life for almost 25 years and most of that time white only shirts were allowed, "Because we were supposed to set an example" I suppose, but now I wonder. What example? I think I own three ties and have worn a tie probably 15 times in the past 9 years at work. Plus a few funerals. Always wear socks except Saturdays with Birkenstocks and I refuse to go along with whoever it is above suggesting stockings or pantyhose. I do draw the line occasionally. I spoke at a groundbreaking for a new training center for the area community college last week. Couldn't help noticing that the architect, who spoke last, had on a suit that I always called a (pardon me) St. Louis Pimp suit, alligator pointy-toed shoes and no socks. His feet must have been sweating cause he squeaked when he walked. He's probably knocking down 350 grand minimum after expenses. He probably had on panty hose too, but I also draw the line at certain inquiries.
  • Now there's a mental picture for you... Don wearing shorts and pantyhose while riding his motorcycle. x:o
  • It's not because I have to but I wear a tie everyday except Fridays. It's funny because I the days that I don't wear a tie people think somethings up and begin wondering why??? I think 20 years in the Air Force put me into the habit!!!
  • I dress incredibly informally. Today, I "dressed up" in a sleeveless cotton top, skirt, sandals, no hose.

For unemployment hearings or interviews, I'll even wear close-toed shoes and sleeves. A jacket if I feel really special.

I am taking full advantage of my new and casual environment. Until two years ago, I wore suits and heels daily - even when I knew I'd spend the entire day on my feel filling in for someone in an ops department. I don't miss that!
  • I failed to mention: our owners are very casual. So casual that I spoke to our president/co-owner about wearing shorts with sandals/socks to work. Sandals on men is way to casual. Add socks and it's just way over the line. x;-)
  • We don't have a dress code here, but I wish we did. The more casually folks dress here, the more casual their attitude! I'm in a black tee shirt, jeans and slip on shoes today. Although it saves me money on stockings, dresses and heels, it would be nice if we raised the bar here a bit and kept one of the more mature, heavy ladies here from falling out of her shirt (lot of complaints came in on that!), or another one from dressing like a hoochie mama! (not as many complaints on that!) Of course, on the tie issue, I do not miss at all the inability of the average male to coordinate ties and their outfits, and I hate busily patterned ties, but I like to see people dress for work and look nice.
  • I take issue with the sock thing. There are alot of ladies shoes out there that can be worn without socks that are perfectly professional.
    First of all I have to say I work in a VERY casual environment in a city that is known for it's student/hippie/progressive/kooky population.We can all wear shorts and T-shirts to work up here in the offices. It was an effort to get the general staff on the floor to wear company logo t-shirts.
    A while back (3 years)our now departing finance manager was hired and he showed up in a tie. It was actually shocking to the rest of us and we all wondered how long it would last. it took about a year for him to just wear a button down shirt. In another year he was wearing freshly pressed jeans and a button down.
    Now he is do busy he doesn't have time to change from his biking gear except for his bike shoes and walks around with bare feet.