If You're 50, Climb In!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-14-03 AT 03:15PM (CST)[/font][p]Just bought two CD's and turned a head or two at the redlights on the way back to the office. Both groups are 30 years ago. Tell me who they are. Here are a couple of clues: One's real name is Autry DeWalt and includes "Cleo's Back", "These Eyes", and "Walk In The Night". The other group has four people, including 'Duck' Dunn and includes "Time is Tight" and "Boot Leg". Elvis' guitarist, Scotty Moore, cut the demo for this one at Sun Studios and they named the group in part after Chips Moman's automobile. One of these groups is called "The most famous backing band in the universe" and "The fathers of the Memphis and Chicago Sound"; and the other, "A five-and-a-half beat typhoon of sweat and motown testosterone-drenched soul".

(Just reading that made you want a long-neck Falstaff, huh?)

At one redlight, I read somebody's lips saying, "What's that old man doing with those speakers?"

Edit - What am I thinkin', I should have said, "If you're 40, climb in". x:-)

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I guessed the Guess Who on the first. . These eyes are crying, these eyes have seen a lot of love.. hadn't heard of the other songs, so guessed I was wrong and looked it up, but since that is cheating, I won't tell.

Have no clue on the other. Probably because I am not yet 50. . for another couple weeks, then Ray and I are going over the hill together and will be able to join in legitamately (sp) with the rest of you oldies.
  • >I guessed the Guess Who on the first. . These eyes are crying, these
    >eyes have seen a lot of love.. hadn't heard of the other songs, so
    >guessed I was wrong and looked it up, but since that is cheating, I
    >won't tell.
    >
    >Have no clue on the other. Probably because I am not yet 50. . for
    >another couple weeks, then Ray and I are going over the hill together
    >and will be able to join in legitamately (sp) with the rest of you
    >oldies.

Sonny, when is your birthday? Mine is exactly 2 weeks from today. May 29th - same as Bob Hope (turning 100) and Patrick Henry. It will be the 550th anniversary of the fall of the Byzantine Empire on that day. Anybody impressed?

I would have guessed the Guess Who for the first, also.

• Mine is June 8th same as Barbara Bush and the infamous bag lady of Toledo Ohio who was best noted for defecating on the steps of the court house. Birthday's have never bothered me BUT I must admit, this one is a bit.
  • >Mine is June 8th same as Barbara Bush and the infamous bag lady of
    >Toledo Ohio who was best noted for defecating on the steps of the
    >court house. Birthday's have never bothered me BUT I must admit, this
    >one is a bit.

Since I turn 50 a week and a half before you, I'll let you know how it is - that way you can back out if you want to. x:D

I dreaded turning 40 a decade ago. Now I don't care - can't get too much worse.

• Guess Who on the first one. Can't guess on the second. However, I'm not climbing in because I'll only be 40 this year!
  • Wow - I'm only have three years til that milestone and the clues stymied me. Lo and behold once I got on the trusty internet I have 45s by both the groups.

The only thing I did know was when the Guess Who did "These Eyes" it was a remake...
  • While I'm not 50 yet I'll bite, is it Booker T. & the MG's for the second one?xB-)
  • Yes, Booker T. and the M.G.s is correct on the second one. Moman drove an old MG Midget. Other cuts on this one are, Green onions, Slim Jenkin's Place, Booker-Loo, , Hip Hug-Her and a remake of Groovin'.
  • Sorry - didn't know any of the above, only the remake of Guess Who. Not at 50 yet ........... but gettin' close.
  • Ouch! I refuse to participate on grounds that it might incriminate me.
    xx(
  • We're talking CD's here Ritaanz, not 78's!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-15-03 AT 10:05AM (CST)[/font][p]Don, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart: Pluuuese, be gentle. Didn't your momma tell you it not nice to be unkind to full grown, in their prime, adult females? :DD
  • I still have a few years before 40, and I could not name either one. I have had a tune stuck in my head recently and can't remember all the words. There is a new car commercial on about folks being able to test drive a car overnight and the song they are singing has a male voice saying 'Let me sleep on it, baby, baby, let me sleep on it. Oh, let me sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning' and the female voice saying 'I gotta know right now, do you love me..'

I recognize this as being from my teen years (I think), but I can't remember the group or name of song. (I was thinking possible Meatloaf, but not sure.)

Anyone else remember it?
  • You're almost there - it's Meatloaf and it's "Paradise By The Dashboard Lights", I think that's the right title.
  • You got it! It's a classic!
  • That's it! Thank you. I wonder if I can still find that 8-track? I think my mother still has the player in her attic. I mentioned this to my 16-year old and commented that she probably doesn't know what an 8-track is, and she replied that she had heard of them.

Ouch.

I bet I could find it on CD now anyway.
  • Before we get off on Meatloaf, I'll tell you who the other group was, since nobody can guess it. It's Jr. Walker And The Allstars. I'm surprised at you guys. Tunes include "Shotgun (shoot him 'fore he runs)", "Road Runner", "Do The Boomerang", "Cleo's Back", and "Satan's Blues". Funk Brother guitarist Eddie Willis recalls the time Junior fell off the stage of Detroit's Fox Theater during a Motortown Review, ten feet down into the orchestra pit. "It was really scary. We all thought he'd killed himself. But no, here comes Junior climbing out of the pit, back onto the stage, blowing (saxaphone) like a fool. Nothin' could stop that guy from playing." Often called the greatest blues and soul solo saxophonist in the world, Junior seccumed to cancer 11/95. (I gotta go out to the parkin' lot). xB-) :DD
  • I'm a few years before 40, but couldn't resist checking this out because of the interesting Subject! It was like reading German until somebody mentioned Meatloaf! If you're back from the parking lot, consider this: bring that CD into the office and pop it into the computer. Have speakers? You won't get a thing done for the rest of the day. (Precisely how I listen to my Eric Clapton all day long . . . .) Enjoy!
  • Don, I had found out who they both were, but didn't want to say because that would have been cheating since the way I found it was on my search engine.

• Well.........did you remember them?
  • Sure did - said above I even have 45s by them
  • You gave the answer too soon. I remembered them. Yes, I'm over 50, and damn proud of it. So there!! Now, can I go take a nap. I just wore myself out.x:-8
  • I gotta start reading these posts sooner...

I love BT&MGs! Junior Walker is cool too. I find that I enjoy just about everyone who's ever been covered by the Blues Brothers. ;)

As I stumbled onto this post, I had just put a newly-purchased CD in the boombox beside my desk. Maybe some of you have heard it already... "Frampton Comes Alive"...

• My 22 year old son came over last night and while he was there I played cuts on both of these for him. He told me Duck Dunn played with Blues Bros and said several of these cuts sound like Blues Bros. Although I offered him mine, he was on his way to get these CDs today for his own collection. Is this bonding or what? My kid likes 'my' old music from the 60s and 70s?
  • My 11-year-old's CD collection looks a lot like mine. Oh, wait a minute - those are mine! He loves the Beatles, and he actually likes Elvis more than I do. The Blues Brothers movie is his favorite DVD, and he loves it when I put the top down and drive real slow down our street with Green Onions playing. As soon as I can get him to play Dick Dale on his guitar, he'll be set for life.

My daughter, 13, likes Brittney and Christina. Sob! Where did I go wrong? *sniff*

• Ain't it amazing that 40 used to be considered over the hill and when we get there, we say 50 is over the hill. Guess the older we get, the farther away the hill gets!

By the way, Brittney is aging out and Christina is porking up (according to her recent photos), so maybe the younger generation will move on to others (probably will be worse than those two, though).
  • I notice Brittney is porkin' up a bit too. But 'Snoop' is really trimmin' down. He still looks like a slimey, wet rat to me though. If my kids brought him home, I would reach for a pistol for damned sure.
  • My household ban on Eminem CDs, MP3s, or anything else associated with him still stands.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-16-03 AT 03:55PM (CST)[/font][p]WOCO Frank - thanks for voicing that opinion - same ban at my house.

My objection to the music my teenagers listen to isn't so much the artists, but the (I don't know the proper terminology) "tone" of the music. Some has been sooo depressing, degrading, downcast. I don't expect lollipops, rainbows and everything that's wonderful, but I don't think a 14, 15, 16 yr. old needs any help to feel depressed. They're usually so melodramatic at this age, they can build all the angst they need on their own.

My 20 yr. old is stuck on techno (thump, thump, thump) but my 14 yr. old is stuck on John Williams and the Boston Pops! Yeah!!!
  • ray a, we're only a day apart. My birthday is May 30, and I'll be 48. For years I didn't have to go to school on my birthday since it was Memorial Day. Then they messed with the holidays and the good life went down the tubes. LOL(Not yet 50, but I have some "stuff" by Booker T and the MGs).

I also have complete dictatorship over the music in my home. My 14 year old brought home the uncensored version of Kid Rock's new song, I guess it's country western, something about getting drunk and sleeping around. It went right back....

Annie