email address on resumes/answering machines

"I know God only gives us what we can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." Sister Therese

I am starting a new thread, because it is definitely a topic worth discussing, but much to long now. In addition to the resume emails, how about some answering machine messages? Wouldn't you think if you were giving out your phone number to Job and his father, that you would have a professional message or at least not a profane one? I can't even begin to list all the aweful messages I have heard when calling candidates. One of my favorites was, "Yeah, you heard the f*&%*&^ beep, and you know what the F to do, so do it." Of course, that was the edited version to make the forum police happy, but you get the gist.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Those candidates who have answering machines should call their own numbers and listen to what is said! How many times have I ever called - and the candidate's message is too fast or the words not pronunced clearly ? Their job hunt ends when I hang up the phone.

Chari
  • Voice mail recordings are like tatoos and dirty underwear. They are based on personal decisions and the person owning them is responsible for accepting the consequences of them. I dislike the really pukey messages like, "You have reached the home of Joe and Melanie Dunlap in Eugene Oregon. We are unable to answer at the moment because we might be shopping or perhaps we are having dinner or engaged in activities we can't really discuss. If you would like to talk with us, and you're not a salesperson, leave your number and a brief message and one of us will call you upon our return." I am wondering if you have Sister Theresa's quote on your answering machine. Those things get me too. x:-)
  • I have heard some that just sounded very unprofessional, but nothing sticks out like the one where the guy had romantic music in the background and had his "sexy voice" on announcing that he wasn't there that your call was important, etc, etc. I had to hang up the first time from laughing too hard. We eventually hired him in our call center.

x;-)

• "I know God only gives us what we can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." Sister Therese

No, our answering machine just says "Hi, you have reached the Gleasons, please leave your name and number after the tone. Thank you and have a good day." I put the Sister Therese quote on here when I was having a particularly bad week. :)I love that sexy voice one.
  • As bad as messages can be on home machines, I have heard some really unprofessional messages on voice mail at companies. The most offensive of which take up my very valuable time (as you can see by rarity of my posting) by giving instructions for other extension numbers for what seems forever. And while I'm on the subject (maybe I should start a thread), but boy do miss calling companies and having a real live person pick up. Dial one for..., Dial two for...., and then the second dial one for..., and then the third, and so on and so forth just take up a lot of my valuable time (see above) and get me very irked.
  • I feel your pain. That is the reason our company will never go automated. We have two switchboard operators who work their tails off answering calls.

"I know God only gives us what we can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." Sister Therese
  • Around here, people think it's cute to have their child recite every nursey rhyme known to mankind. Then they jumble together what the name is.

I have called and gotten the Barry White version of "Hey Baby, nobody's home right now, leave your message and I'll get back with you." It's pretty funny - and I want to hire that person so that he'll have voice mail like that here at work!

• And the Big Business professional ones that start by saying, "Listen carefully to our options; they have changed..." Why the hell change them. This forces you to listen to that garbage and nothing has changed but their order of appearance.
  • Once I called a busienss and the #4 optioin was " If you'd like to hear a duck quack - push 4". Of course I did, and heard the Quack............ that was pretty funny. We should never take ourselves too seriously.
  • Ok, I am going to admit it..my husband and I are answering machine message fanatics..we change our message every two weekks or so. We even get compliments from people on them when they leave messages! I know, I know, we don't have lives, but indulge me. People's favorites have been one where we acted like we wer arguing over how to record a message, and Lance's Kermit the frog voice. Anyway, our message right now is one of me singing a bluesesqe song that says
    "You've reached the Crowells and we're not home,
    So leave a message and when we reach that phone,
    We'll take your number and call you back,
    As long as you put us on the right track."

I know, pathetic, but we have fun!
  • I think you told us in another thread that you're expecting; so I suppose everything has a way of working out for the best. Glad ya'll weren't TOTALLY absorbed with the recording obsession. One other thing though...I think you said he's a minister. If people call to notify him of an impending funeral, how do they react to Kermit?
  • Good point Don. Actually, he had the Kermit the Frog on there before he was in the ministry (he was a grad student in Electricial Engineering before the call) and so that thankfully wouldn't be an issue. Mostly though, it's the church staff and not church members that call for funerals and weddings when someone calls them and asks for Lance by name, or if he is up on the list if they want to talk to any minister. (We are a big church, about 16,000, so we get alot of ministry calls from people just needing a minister available, without knowing him personally.)
    I also guess the fact that he's the College and Career minister helps with some of the silliness as well!

But I'll remember to keep that in mind for future messages...oh yeah...there WILL be future messages!!