Late for an Interview

As an HR professional I was late for an interview. I am in Memphis, TN and my contact is in Cali. He sent me an email with the address and contact for the interviewer but no phone number. Over the weekend I looked for the address and found what I thought was the correct building. Early and prepared, I arrived to the wrong place (same address but different street...it was very confusing. I spent hours preparing for the meeting and even am preparing a Powerpoint presentation as part of the second stage in the game. I met with the interviewer and he was light hearted about my tardiness ( the company had move as well and the address ultimately was wrong). The interview went OK in my opinion... He was not a very good interviewer. He was only asking me if I had questions through most of the meeting. His only meaningful question was "SO TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF?" and of course anticipating this, I made a grand slam on my response. Do you think I have lost any chance of redemption? I really want the opportunity and have prepared well with research etc. Please give me your real, TOUGH, honest HR opinions. And anything to move myself back in the top running for the job.

Second Chance In Memphis.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Redemption from what? You say the interviewer wasn't miffed because of your late arrival and he even explained that they had moved and given you a wrong address. My honest opinion, since you asked, is that you must focus on the positives and your excitement about the prospect of a new job and feel good about your credentials...........rather than obsessing over what might have gone wrong or what might happen if you get rejected.

A question for you: Reverse the roles. You have a prospect show up late who gives a perfectly plausible explanation. You both laugh it off and share the blame for the mixup. Then he blows you away with good information about himself, has a great resume and promises a powerpoint presentation for a later review if you would like it. Now, do you come away from the interview dissing him because he was late OR are you remarkably impressed with his presentation of himself and his skill set? x:-)
  • Agree with Don, take the positives and move on...
  • Agree with Don, but do understand how difficult it is to shake that feeling that you've blown your chance. I went to an interview in a different city once and the company provided a room the night before an all-day interview. Time set up with everyone up to the CEO. Everything's going well, get up in plenty of time in the morning, shower, etc, take my suit coat off the hanger, and NO PANTS! I always hung the suit pants on the same hangar as the coat - will never know what happened this time. So, I'm 150 miles from home, need to be at the interview at 8:00, drove to the area in a pair of Levis, and this is well before anyone thought of casual dress. Well, I called in at 8:00 and explained my predicament, bought a suit off the rack as soon as a store opened, and was welcomed at 9:30. Couldn't shake the dread, though, and that was the first job I ever interviewed for which I wasn't offered (I'll admit, I had been very lucky up till then), and I know I didn't make a good impression. I wanted this job pretty bad.
    Hope you have better luck than I did! You certainly had a better excuse than I did.
  • Ha! Brings to mind the first agency interview I had years ago for an office manager promotion which would require a transfer to another town. Really wanted the job. Arrived at the State Employment Security Headquarters in the capital city and first interviewed with the Executive Director, next was the Area Supervisor (who the position reports to) and last was the Division Director who oversaw 33 offices. I had known these guys from a reasonable (young) distance for several years and had the good sense to never try to out-whiskey any of them. Anyway, when I stood to shake hands and leave the Division Director's desk, he said, "Zip up your pants." Damn!!!!!! I had walked around in the State Office most of the day and had sat through three interviews and knew this would kill me. I got the job. Must have been my smile.
  • You have cracked me up! I am sorry that you did not get the job but it sounds like you are well on your way in HR. Have any tips on doing a Benefits Orientation for an interview?

Thanks.
  • I think you have redeemed yourself.

You had a good explanation, the interviewer agreed, and you blew him away with your answer about yourself.

Hold your head up high and go on.

If you get the job- great! If not, then perhaps you didn't want to work for a company that has rotten interviewers.

And next time you are in a strange city to interview - look for an HR person walking around with his pants unzipped. That's Don.

Zanne
  • No, it won't be me. When I am in a strange city I don't wear anything with zippers. I usually just wear a pair of flippers and a long, Hawaiian shirt with a pocket protector.
  • So how did you get this new job??? Was it the flippers or the zippers?!? x:D
  • I hesitate to answer those really personal questions on a public network.
  • Pocket protector?

Surely someone as cool as you doesn't wear nerd gear.

• CKM . .am wondering (and wandering a bit) but what is your power point presentation? Being far removed from the private sector and a bit behind the times, I have not experienced a candidate using a power point presentation. Is this something that has become common? I don't think you have hurt your chances, by the way. I like enthusastic, confident candidates, but admit to being turned off when on occasion the enthusiasm borders on being zealous..comes off as desperate to me. (Not saying this is you by the way)

Enjoyed sharing interview stories, could probably be a thread in itself. Reminded me of when I went to the closing of my first house. I was single, fairly young, very nervous to be committing to that $350.00 a month house payment (now I am showing my age) but was determined to come off as confident, secure and mature. Dressed to the nines to fit the image. As I was leaving, the sellers attorney noted I had something on the back of my suit. As I turned there was a sweat sock statically clung to my rear..pretty much resembled a tail. Thanked God that I was not at a job interview!
  • Oh, My goodness, zippers, socks?! Thanks for the chuckle!

• At least it wasn't the label off a Jack Daniels bottle.
  • Thanks for all of your comments and jokes, the humor lighten the air. By the way I was offered the job and gladly accepted. This is a great forum to air HR issues and concerns.

Thanks from Elvis' hometown.

• CONGRATS!!! Am sure you will do great!!