EARLY BIRDS

Just courious if this seems to make sense to the rest of you HR folks. I received a newsletter today that seemed to back up what I have always felt to be true. Something to the effect of: Despite the popular maxim, the early bird doesn't always get the worm. Workplace early birds who prefer to put in their extra/overtime hours before the start of the work day don't get the same recognition for their efforts as those who work later into the evening after most people have left the office. A recent poll shows that although putting in the extra time potentially leads to greater productivity, workplace early birds do not reap the same rewards, promotions or acknowledgments for their efforts. More notice is taken of people who work late than of people who come in early. This is simply because if you get to work early, no one or very few know how early and if they leave for the day and you are still at work, they know that you are "staying late for the good of the company" to get the job done. Figures, I have always been an early bird and do my best to get home at a decent hour to be with the family.
Have a great day,
Dutch2

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hallelujah! My suspicions confirmed! No one notices if I'm here at 7 in the morning every day, but everyone sure makes it known if I leave the office at a quarter to 5 in the afternoon! But then, this company is pretty AR when it comes to everyone's comings and goings.

For those of you who want to create the illusion of staying late while going home at the same time as the rest of humanity, I suggest "The Official Lawyer's Handbook" which came out several years ago.
  • My hours are actually 7 to 4. I'm rarely able to leave on time (note it is already 4:41!) but the line employees are so used to office staff leaving at 5 that if I happen to get out of here on time, comment is always made. "Leaving early???"
  • I agree - my scheduled hours are 7:30 to 4:00 but I am here every day at 5:00 or so - the best time for me to get things done without many interruptions. I do try to leave at 4:00 and I know that people think I'm a clock watcher. Oh well - it works for me and my boss knows when I get here because she's an early bird too.
  • Well then, by your theory, I should be getting that promotion soon! I am not one of those 'early birds'. I like my sleep too much in the morning. I however, do not mind staying past the end of the work day if it's needed. I find that much more can get done after hours without the constant interruption.
  • I agree. Those of us who come in early do not receive the recognition as those who stay after five o'clock. My boss sometimes is in early, but always stays late and sees me leaving between 5 and 5:15. Oh well, at least I know what time I arrive! (And so does payroll because even though we are exempt, we are required to fill out time sheets, but that's another story!)
  • Technically, I work from 8:30 to 5. However, I have the ability to access my office computer from by home computer. Therefore, any work I can get done at home I do(usually at 5:30 in the morning over the most important cup of coffee of the day). It goes a lot faster because there are no interruptions. I often eat lunch my desk at work. Therefore, most days I leave at 4:30. Unfortunately, my office is at the back so I have to walk past everyone else.
  • I'm also an early bird, I get to pick the best parking spot in the lot. My boss will often call me early in the morning from his cell phone. At first, he was quite surprised to actually get the real "live" me so early, but now he's used to it, and I know that he knows that I'm here. That's good enough for me.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-15-03 AT 04:46PM (CST)[/font][p]We are a one car family so I go in at 8:15 when I take my daughter to school. This works well as the school is just one block away. Of course, in Cannon Beach, almost everything is one block away.

Before I come to work, though, I try to spend an hour in prayer. In this line of work, I call that "prep time". It doesn't make the pile of paperwork on my desk go away but it helps me approach the day with a sense of gratitude and hopefulness.

Paul
  • I have this argument with management all the time. They think if an employee is not at their desk at 5:30 pm, "they are not committed". It doesn't matter that they were there at 5:30 am or that they worked through lunch. AUGH!!!! I think management needs to be "committed" and my definition of "committed" may not be the same as theirs. x}>
  • Yep, I agree I am an early person. I get up around 4:30 AM every day to get my exercise in and then am at the office at 7 AM. I usually try to leave between 4:30 and 5 PM, but it doesn't always happen. Trouble has a way of showing up between 4 and 5 PM, I've found.

My boss is usually here by 7AM, so he knows I'm here, but he is often here WAY after 5 PM. Thank God, he doesn't expect everyone to do this.

You just have to keep your life in perspective. You can give, give, give everything to your job, but I think your family suffers greatly and your health does too if you work 60 -70 hours a week. Not worth it, folks! I'm sure you all have heard the old adage that on their death bed, no one will say "I wish I spent more time at the office!"
  • Amen, brother!

I'm lucky that in the first time in my 20year + career, I actually have a boss that means it when he says "Work until the job is done, whether it's 30 hours or 60 hours. Take time off to be with your kid. Just let me know."

I do. He's great. I'm happy.

Zanne
  • Where are you and do you have any openings! What a great attitude!
  • I completely agree! My hours are supposed to be 8:30 to 4:30. I come in early, nearly always work through lunch, rarely leave at 4:30, and often take work home with me. When I do leave at 4:30 (usually to get a child to an activity) I get "the look" from the lady who works 9 - 5 not one minute more and always takes a full hour for lunch. I have figured out, though, when I come in super early and a little grumbly that I can often find something to e-mail my boss or the entire staff about and I make darned sure to do that soon after arrival--since the e-mail shows the time the message was sent. That doesn't really help anything but at least I feel like I've made a point from time to time.
    And after saying all that, I wouldn't change things by coming in later and staying later. I get so much more work done before other people arrive!
  • I really need to jump in on this one. I have been a work-a-holic for 35 years. My husband had raised the kids and now have 10 beautiful grandkids.
    We were starting to live life to the fullest just he and I, lots of travel (when I would take off work). He died a year and half ago, now work really isn't that important. We are only in our mid 50's...

Take time to have memories and a wonderful life with your families. Life can change in a heart-beat.

No sympathy please, just remember what's important.

Judy
  • Excellent point, Judy. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Judy: What a great lesson! I hope people are paying attention. I can proudly say that for an entire career (another life) I passed up or did not pursue many, many promotional/transfer opportunities that would involve travel and 2 to 3 nites away each week. I preferred to NOT put my kids' pictures on a motel bedside table, but to be there to hug them each day and nite, and their mom too. Thank you again for re-emphasizing this.