Some "good" Boss Stories ??

Reading all the "bad" boss stories made me kind of sad. Would anyone like to share stories about your wonderful boss?

I'll start with one:

My boss surprises us with flowers, candy, and football tickets all the time! She tells us constantly how wonderful we are and how she couldn't do her job without us (there are 4 of us total in the HR department including the company receptionist). We are the envy of the entire company! I find myself wanting more work to do so I can make her proud. x0:)

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My boss doesn't surprise us with any little gifts, but she occassionally writes us up for good work and makes sure it goes in our personnel files. She never has a problem with a need to take time off (which I really appreciated last year when a series of disasters had me taking off a total of almost 10 weeks), encourages us to feel free to take comp time, gives us great reviews, and makes sure she does something special for us on birthdays, holidays, and employee appreciation days. To top it off, she almost single-handedly saved our company from going under about 5 years ago.

I origingally worked with her in 1986, then worked for her in 1987, then for a subordinate of hers for 10 years, and am now working for her again. I have had few bosses who come even close to this one. She's the best!
  • I report directly to the VP Administration with a dotted line to the President. These 2 guys are the best bosses I have ever had. They step back and let me do my job without micro-managing or second guessing. They let me put into effect programs that they thought were "wishful thinking" but in the long run proved to be right for us. Today we are 820 days (2years and 86 days) accident free. Inspite of 2 RIFs, morale is good. They both are visible on the plant floor and know the employees by name. They take the time to "visit" with them and let them know how important they are to the team. They are genuine professionals with a hefty portion of compassion and humor.
  • My boss believes family first, job second. So he is very understanding when it comes to anything having to do with my family. We are a two person HR Department so we really have to rely on each other - we are a team. He always backs me up with other employees. He believes in empowering employees. He has fought an up hill battle to train all Managers in Total Quality Management theories. Some people just do not want to change. We had a union here for 16 years. Thanks to my boss the employees felt enough trust to vote the union out last September. As a result he fought the owners to have across the board equal benefits for all employees. He matched the old union benefits and created new ones for all of us. I could go on and on. The best thing about working for him is he gives me my freedom and he brings me Dunkin Donuts coffee every morning.
  • That "freedom" you talk about is so important to a happy/healthy work enviornment. I don't know how people survive the work day with a boss who is perched on their shoulders. It is nice to be listened to and trusted to do your job.
  • I have a bittersweet tale. After a string of bad bosses, I have finally had one for the last year and 1/2 that is great! He's the president of the CU and he lets me do my thing and is very understanding about time off for sickness and family. Since I have found out I am pregnant, he has been great about encouraging me to take all the doc. appointments I need and asks me how I am feeling and even bought me some crackers when I had nausea one time! He gives me credit for good work and is respected and loved by all the employees in the CU. I couldn't have asked for a better boss and could literally see myself working for him forver..but it is not to be..he is retiring at the end of the year and so I will have to wait to see how my next boss will be..Mr. Phares will be a hard act to follow though..
  • Maybe this belongs on the "Bad Boss" post. I asked my bofriend last night if he had ever had a really good boss and he couldn't think of any! Me niether! Well actually I did have one really NICE Boss, but does good mean they also have to actually do their job well?
  • Okay, well, no way on earth can I compete with some of your stories. Any of y'all got any openings? x;-)
  • Parabeagle
    Ask me again about 8 months from now!! ;;) I am thinking about staying home for awhile to raise my child..
  • Since I started the bad boss thread - I'll throw in my good boss story.

The best boss I worked for was 26 year Air Force Veteran. He had a certain way he liked things done, was honest and forthright, treated everyone fairly, and praised us when we deserved it. All of us (1 secretary - me, and 35 tradesmen) would go way above and beyond the call of duty for this boss. He liked to pretend he was a crumudgeon - but had a heart of gold.

I think his teaching me, a brand new secretary back then, how to be an efficient and organized secretary, lead to my promotions up through the ranks to where I am now.

Thanks Ron!

Zanne
  • I have just one thing to say:

x:'(

• I have two "good" boss stories.

1. I had a boss who received a substantial bonus and divided between himself and the 3 of us that he supervised. Said he wouldn't have gotten it without us.

2. Had a boss at a bank who was sitting in her office and heard a customer giving one of the tellers a hard time. (The teller was crying) My boss got up out of her office, tapped the customer on the shoulder and asked her what the problem was. The customer told her why she was yelling at the teller. Ends up that the teller was doing her job correctly. My boss told the woman that she would not talk to her teller that way again and defended the teller's actions. We found out later that the customer was the bosses cousin. She always defended us as long as we were doing our job. She was one of those bosses who called you into her office if you were doing a good job just to tell you you were. Not many of her kind around these days.