POLL: How and how far do you commute? How is it?

2»

Comments

• >it's all up hill both directions.

For some reason, this is really heard to imagine! Seems your route is more like a teeter-totter, than a road.

• I have lived in the same place for 15 years and driven about 10-15 miles to work for those 15 years. What began as a 15 minute drive (I live one mile off a major freeway) is now a 35 minute drive on a good day. I don't even use the freeway for the most part because it's a parking lot from 6:30 am to 9:00 am. Unfortunately due to the nature of my HR job, it's been difficult to carpool because I have very irregular hours and alot of folks want to be home with their families by 6:00 pm. We have been griping about the traffic problem here for years and our population has expanded greatly (I live in a northwest suburb of Mpls, MN). Bus transportation only works for those who work in the heart of downtown. When it snows, my commute is anywhere from 1-2 hours and on those days I'm a bit stressed by the time I reach work!
  • The distance one way is about 22 miles. On a bad day it takes me about 35 or 40 minutes, no matter what route I try, unless I get caught up in school traffic, and it takes an hour then. On the way home, it's usually bad traffic with multiple wrecks (not mine) and takes a total of about 45 to 55 minutes of really tedious, NASCAR driving. But, there is always an ice cold beer and a footrub waiting on me. On days when I really feel adventurous and ride my motorcycle in, I take a route around the reservoir for the scenery and so people on the interstate don't flip me off. On those days I don't really care how long it takes, as my objective is on another plane. There is major industrial startup occuring not 5 miles north of my house and I may let some resumes fly out the window while driving up that way. That might solve multiple 'opportunities'.
  • Mine's about 15 each way that takes about 15 minutes on a state highway staring at open desert and mountains on the horizon - sometimes with snow, mostly not. But I can't get the picture to show. How'd you do it Paul?

• For 16 years I drove 2.5 miles each way. I would sometime take the long way home to unwind - that was about 6 miles. I could walk home in about 20 minutes.

We moved to the next county 4 years ago. Now I drive 23 miles one way, 25 - 30 minutes.

I used to put about 7,000 miles a year on my car, now about 20,000.