tattered American flag

This has absolutely nothing to do with HR but just wondered what you all would do. On my way to and from work for the last month, I've been driving by an extremely tattered American flag on a pole attached to a black fence. While it used to be nice and crisp many months ago, it has pretty much disintegrated - the stripes have separated and faded, and the ends break off more every day. Yet the owners of the property leave it there. You can't see the house from the road, so I can't tell if someone actually lives there ... just assuming someone does. It bothers me to see the flag left there in its tattered state - seems like desecration. I've thought about removing it but didn't want to be accused of stealing. I've thought about putting a nice note in their mailbox. I've thought about taking our flag, which is in good condition, and replacing it.

What would you do?

Christy Reeder
Website Managing Editor
[url]www.HRhero.com[/url]

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have often wondered who could possibly hang our great flag in such disarray. I, too, find it upsetting. However, I don't have any suggestions on a way to approach the homeowners/tenants. I wouldn't think of removing and replacing it.

I think it's disrespectful to have those "car window" flags flappping furiously into shreds, too.

While I appreciate the intentions, we know where good intentions lead.
  • I would call the VFW. Around here, they will (very nicely) ask the owner if they would like to have the worn flag retired properly.
  • Your local Boy Scout Troop is also trained in how to properly lay old glory to rest. They have a very special cermony just for this and if done correctly it can really have an impact on the young men involved in the actual process. Good luck.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-05-03 AT 04:30PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-05-03 AT 09:21 AM (CST)[/font]

There is a large chance that the owner of the property is not familiar with the rules on flag retirement and replacement. He may be under the assumption that his grand old flag should be allowed to fly as long as the threads can hang on. We can't assume anything about his knowledge of flag etiquette or his intentions. I knew a man who during the Gulf War had a little American flag taped to his car antenna. It flew day and night and became quite tattered. He later took it off the antenna and gave it to a co-worker who had been called up. He thanked the co-worker for his service and told him the flag's history. The co-worker has it in his office to this day, still tattered, but to him, a prized posession. Whatever you decide to do may very well offend a kind and gentle person who had no idea he was perhaps offending others. Why not just salute it and drive on by. Don D.

EDIT: P.S: I was the guy who taped the flag to his antenna.
  • I knew I'd get good feedback from this group. Thanks!
  • I am a little late in responding; however, I wanted to relate how the times have changed. In the late 1960's, I was working at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. A young lady came in with an American flag sewn on the back of her shorts. I was asked by the police to accompany her into the bathroom for her to remove the flag or else she was going to jail. Now, all forms of clothing are made with the flag logo.
  • >A young lady came in with an American flag sewn on the back of her shorts. I was asked ... to accompany her into the bathroom for her to remove the flag....

Now there's an HR task I'd much prefer to avoid. There's no end to the roles we fill in our jobs, is there!
  • Good point. Would rather see a tattered flag flying than on someones behind. The rugs are what bother me!
  • Rugs and door mats that look like the flag...you see them in country catalogs etc.
  • September 11th renewed my desire to honor our Flag. I, like many Americans, put a flag sticker on my car. Its still there and I plan to keep it there.

I put a small cloth flag in a nice wood frame with glass and it hangs in my office.

I appreciate the posts in this thread that discuss the honorable way to dispose of a flag. My generation and those behind me need to be reminded of these things.

Paul

• Before you jump to any conclusions, I want to add a little (true) story.

I am of the age where family members were in the Vietnam war. When my cousin was drafted he gave his Mom an American Flag and asked her to fly it right out in front, every day, so it would be the first thing he saw when he came home. He wanted her to remember the reason he needed to go. Thankfully, he did come home and the dirty, tattered, much flown flag was gratefully and properly stored. My Aunt still has it.
  • I'm with you Annie! We all need more to do than sit around and make assumptions about why other people do or don't do what they do or don't do. One's thoughts about the Flag are personal. All I need to worry about is my own opinion of the Flag and how I choose to display or not display it. Isn't it ironic that while some people are championing the right of someone to set fire to the flag and dance while it burns, others are critiquing the mindset of people who actually choose to fly it? Your story brings back a few memories.
  • Oooow. Now I have felt the sting of Don's stun gun.

I do appreciate the other viewpoints on flying our country's flag. It seems there's always a perspective you didn't thing of ... which is why I posted my original question. I respect the right of others to fly the flag as they wish (now that I see that it's most likely out of respect rather than carelessness). As someone else mentioned, it is wonderful to see the flag flying, regardless. And I will follow my convictions on caring for the flag we fly at our home.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
  • My apologies. No, no stun gun was intended for you Christy. Nothing at all wrong with your original post and the thought process it engaged us all in. I was simply thinking outloud, rather rhetorically, about people who burn flags and others who get violently vocal about etiquette and such. None of that was spurred by the thread. So, is the baby's middle name still Don? Do I send flowers Friday?
  • Middle name? I think my hubby has claimed that one, but if Baby arrives on the scene in a black leather motorcycle jacket and goggles, I might reconsider.

Flowers? Flowers are always good. But I still say a picture of you in your HR Hero t-shirt by your bottle tree would be tops!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor