The end of a job interview...

Reaching the end of a job interview, the human resources person asked a young engineer fresh out of MIT what kind of a salary he was looking for.

"In the neighborhood of $140,000 a year, depending on the benefits package."

"Well, what would you say to a package of 5-weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary, and a company car leased every 2 years...say, a red Corvette?"

"Wow! Are you kidding?"

"Yeah, but you started it."

{Haven't you just ever wanted to say something similar...Or have you?...and what did you say...come on, fess up Don}

x}>

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not quite the end of an interview, but sweet revenge anyway.

Flew in an applicant from Boston to interview for an IT spot. Her husband had been promoted and was already in Phoenix. She was to follow him at the end of the month. After several interviews with other applicants, we felt she was the best match. I called her and offered her the position. Her response was that the salary offered was $2000 less than she was making. (I had explained to her when she visited with us that the pay structure in AZ was less than Boston.) She told me to come up with $5000 more and she would CONSIDER the offer. After 60 seconds of grinding my teeth, I told her I was sorry but we could not match her requirements.

Well, well, well three weeks later she calls me and tells me she has reconsidered our offer and has accepted. I think she was very disappointed when I told her the job had been filled. Some days are diamonds........ x:-)
  • That is indeed sweet revenge.

I remember a new grad physical therapist wanted a position with a hospital that I worked at. We offered something like $50K to start and she looked at me and said "Well, our professor told us that we shouldn't accept less than $60,000 a year to start". My reply was "Well, maybe your professor will offer you a job!"
    (I was feeling particularly evil that day).
  • >Well, well, well three weeks later she calls me and tells me she has
    >reconsidered our offer and has accepted. I think she was very
    >disappointed when I told her the job had been filled. Some days are
    >diamonds........ x:-)

I just love it when that happens...all of a sudden, they realize that they aren't on some "TV reality show" where everything goes according to the producers...this is real life and you need to be a bit more flexible.

• We were filling an I.T. position - had the applicant and wife come in for the weekend. The owner of the company took the applicant and played golf and his wife took the applicant's wife and showed her the area. As they drove around looking at houses and schools the owners wife told the applicants wife the school system was terrible - she would not put her children in public schools. (She is employed by a private school) They discussed how much tuition for 3 in private school was and which was the best. Monday the applicant asked for an increase in the offer to cover the cost of tuition for his three children.

I am sure there was a heated discussion between our owner and his wife. Needless to say - we hired someone else. Tuition costs put him way out of range. ( We have a fine school system - the two other owner's (his brothers)children attend public school)