What I Wanted To Say

I have a employee in the hospital with emphysema. He called to inquire into FMLA and inform me that it was our fault because his branch had not gotten their flu shots yet. (The Branch Manager dropped the ball and did not tell his employee which clinic was giving them) I bit my tongue and thought.... x}>

If you had stopped smoking 20 years ago ---maybe?--- oh yea--- you might not be there today. If you still did not have a 2 pack a day habit - hmmmm - maybe? -- NO--- probably wouldn't be there today. If I had not been quoting new health insurance because our claims are high ---- might ---- have had time to remind the manager.

I feel much better.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I feel your pain. I will also tell you that if I am ever told that I have a terminal illness, the first thing I'm gonna do is go to the store and buy a carton of cigarettes. Haven't had one in 20 years, but sometimes, when the stress level is just right on a Monday, I will still reach up and sorta slap my shirt pocket like I still have a pack there.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-19-02 AT 02:34PM (CST)[/font][p]Isn't it amazing how in HR, we become the scapegoat, the meanie, the villian? Of course he'd never have an illness if you hadn't scheduled those dang flu shots so late in the season.

What I've always wanted to say is when you are doing a termination conference and the employee looks at you and says, "Why didn't you ever tell me that _____ (you supply the problem) was wrong?" I want to say, "What did you think those FOUR write ups were for?"

• Congrats on quitting Don. I just celebrated my five year anniversary of quitting smokes. I can relate to your feelings. Sometimes.. on certain days.. when the crisp autumn air mixes well with a warm cup of coffee.. my right hand will twitch a bit and my lips will exhale out of reflex.

Then I think about how hard it was to quit and decide to stay quit.

Paul

p.s. The price of cigarettes helps too. Almost $5.00 a pack in Oregon.
  • Condratulations to both of you for quitting smoking. I have just reached one month smoke free. It is not an easy habit to quit. Please tell me it gets easier as time goes by.
  • Cindy: At the risk of straying from the subject of the post I will tell you that you have gone through the toughest part. I have a little plastic turkey about two inches square glued to a framed paper giving myself the 'Cold Turkey Award' for quitting. I frequently tell people that it cannot be harder to get off heroin than it was for me to quit cigs. For about 4 or 5 days, I could not think straight, could not think, could hardly communicate and was terribly cranky (imagine that). It gets better. Do not turn back. The feeling of pride, the absence of the cough, the resulting fewer little holes in slacks and shirts, the family telling you they're proud, the savings of $15 per day, a different smell in the house, the real taste of food...all come together to make it work. On those occasions like after dinner, having a drink, playing cards....those are the killers when you will want to go back to it. Don't. On the back of a business card, write down what a pack cost you last month, what the cigs would cost you per week, month and year and carry it around in your purse. Also give yourself an award and put it on your wall. Sorry for the testimonial.
  • I did not mean to get off of the subject at hand, but I love hearing the stories about people who have quit smoking. It is a motivator for me. The way I think about it is: If he/she can do it so can I. Don, thanks for the encouragement.
  • Congratulations! Don't give up! I quit 5 mos. ago with help from the patch. It gets easier the longer you go.
  • Good Luck to All on the Smoking! We offered a chance at $50 for the Great American Smokeout. Eight employee's signed-up, not much money - but it is close to Christmas. We have some die hard smokers, we probably have 50 smokers.

• Our main office have an odd demographic breakdown, when it comes to smokers.

We have 12 females, and 8 males.

We have 9 smokers, 11 non-smokers.

All 9 smokers are females.

• Cindy, YES! You are definitely through the hard part! I remember how good it felt the first time I realized I had gone a whole day without thinking about smoking. Now its a distant memory...

Hang in there! Do EVERYTHING you can think of to support your new identity as a non smoker! Treat yourself to lots of nice things knowing you would have spent the money anyways on cigarettes.

I used the Nicorette gum and found it incredibly effective during withdrawal periods.

Paul
  • I used Zyban. Very effective for me. I used it for 1 month. This is my first week off of it and I'm doing very well.

I have tried several times before and failed. This time I feel different about quitting. I believe I am ready. One of the toughest things I have ever done, but well worth it.

Thanks for the support.
  • Paul's right! Reward yourself. Spend your cigarette money on a massage, pedicure or facial to relieve stress!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Quit May 1 with Zyban. Gained 20 pounds. Have relapsed lately. The doc told me to get back on the Zyban and stay on - seems it not only helps with quitting the smokes but also the weight. Miracle drug that. Anyway, day three of totally clean AGAIN. I'll whip it yet!
  • I was 3.5 packs a day and quit cold turkey March, 1984. Damn the weight gain. Or at least don't let it dominate your thought/evaluation processes. So you gain a few pounds initially. You can deal with losing that in 5 months, after you've licked the tobacco addiction. I'm sure its tough to deal with kicking two addictions at once, although I don't recall gaining weight. I was careful not to let myself substitute one for the other. The value of ridding yourself of nicotine will far outweigh (no pun) the downside of gaining a little weight, which you can shed on Atkins in a few months. In fact, now that I think about it, you could go on Atkins, kick tobacco and pig out every day on what Atkins allows, and never gain an ounce, in fact lose 5 pounds per week. Tell your friend guy that the only REAL way to make it work is to give up three things at one time and see if he can come up with a third for you. x:-)
  • Leslie,

I have not gained any weight yet. It's been 6 weeks for me. I have been off of Zyban for almost two weeks.

Like Don says "don't substitute with food" I use suckers, pops or blow pops or life savers and it helps me out a lot, also I work out every morning.

Good Luck

• The doc told me to stay on the Zyban for a year. I thought that was ridiculous and got off. Little did I know it was for the weight control also! Oh well, it'll all work out. Just started walking and cutting out carbs...try to get through the holidays with as little damage as possible, then work on it hard next year. Thanks for the help. Maybe we need to start a new thread for all those New Year's Resolutions to cut out some of our obsessive compulsive behaviors!
  • That would be a good thread to start, Leslie. If we write it on the internet, then we have to stick to it all year RIGHT?