What ticks you off?

2»

Comments

• OK, maybe it's because it's a shutdown week for us (no business)and I've been working like a mad woman doing catch up work and need a break, but my manager and I have a few.

1) Not necessarily related to HR, but don't you just love when you get sent phone numbers that have letters instead of numbers? For example, 1-800-FIGURE THIS OUT. Don't you love it? NOT!

2) Two phone calls I received within an hour. The first one was "I wanted to see if anyone had picked up my paycheck." PAUSE. I was waiting for more information, like "Who are you?"

Second phone call - "I just wanted to see if you had received the resume I faxed to you." Nothing else. Again, waiting for more information. Finally I had to ask for a name.

Carnac I'm not, I guess. (I'm dating myself bringing back Johnny Carson playing the mindreader).

Boy, I feel better.

Happy 4th everyone!
  • Most of my pet peeves have been mentioned. Some make me appreciate my company all the more. x:D

th-up
    I agree with Paul, we need to start a "what I love about my job" forum!

For instance, what I love most: Being able to really be there as a sounding board to managers and/or employees...then helping them find solutions to their situation...then to see the success or happiness day after day!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-08-02 AT 11:21AM (CST)[/font][p]How about someone start a new thread on "what I love about my job." This one's getting pretty long. HS? Paul?
  • jrobb: You can do it! x0:)
  • What REALLY ticks me off is managers who are too "chicken" to handle their own employee issues. I've advised managers on how to handle employee situations, only to have them chicken out mid-way and tell the employee they'll have to talk to HR when the going gets rough. Thus my tag name, the HR Police! If I could give citations to these managers, I really wouldn't mind the title!
  • A woman in uniform with an 'attitude' x:-).
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-19-02 AT 11:25AM (CST)[/font][p]HRPolice could be a man, Don D! x;-)

At any rate, HR Police, feel free to borrow the x:=| icon any time you feel the need. Actually, I think the citations aren't a bad idea! Maybe poking fun at the problem by telling them at a management meeting that they will now be receiving "citations" (showing an example, of course) when they dump on HR would let them know in a fun way that you are indeed tired of them shirking their duties. If you need a larger version of the HR Policeman blown up to print on the citations, just let me know. x;-)

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Christy, I love your suggestion. And yes, a blown up copy of the HR Police Emotion Icon would add a nice touch to my monthly HR staff meeting presentation! Thanks a bunch!
  • >
    >HRPolice could be a man, Don D! x;-)
    >
    >>Christy Reeder
    >Website Managing Editor
    >[url]www.HRhero.com[/url]

Reckon I stepped in it. I thought HR Police was you, Christy. Didn't realize there was another. But, upon checking further, I don't know any men named Debra!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-19-02 AT 01:12PM (CST)[/font][p]Oh man, you outsmarted me, Don D! Unless of course Debra is a pretend name, too! I'm grasping at straws here now ... you win!

HRPolice, I'll e-mail you the HR Police graphic if our graphics guy can make it bigger (I think he can).

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Alright, Don D. (or is it Sherlock??), I "am" a woman in uniform! x:D

As for the attitude??? That'S an acquired skill after 15 years in HR!! Gotta love it!!

Christy, thanks again!
  • >What REALLY ticks me off is managers who are too "chicken" to handle
    >their own employee issues. I've advised managers on how to handle
    >employee situations, only to have them chicken out mid-way and tell
    >the employee they'll have to talk to HR when the going gets rough.
    >Thus my tag name, the HR Police! If I could give citations to these
    >managers, I really wouldn't mind the title!

It could be worse. One of my managers tagged me with the label: "Angel of Death." Anytime I went to her office to help discipline an employee, the employee quit on the spot!

• Ruthanne, sounds like you've got me beat! I guess HR Police, Angel of Death and "The Hatchet Lady" are synonomous with HR. Such a shame. We do so much good in our field, but are known for the one nasty deed that even we hate to do.

Hang in there!
  • It could have had something to do with that 'billy club' hanging from your belt! x:-)
  • Alright, it's Friday! BE NICE! X:=|

Have a great weekend, Don!
  • Thanks for your posts this week. I really thought it was Christy posting the HR Police stuff since she has 'called us to order' more than once with the cop logo. P.S. Just today I was referred to as 'The Calendar Police' when I told a supervisor to remove a suggestive tool company calendar from one of the maintenance areas. All I could say was, "Hey man, I gotta do what I gotta do."
  • I guess that police hat gets around! I think we should add "law enforcement" aka HRPolice to our resume?? x;-)

• OK, maybe I'm slow, but how do you access these wonderful icons??

• >OK, maybe I'm slow, but how do you access these wonderful icons??

Go to the subject area "How to Use The Forum" and scroll down to the question about EMOTICONS where Christy was explaining it to some dumb soul (me!). x:-)

• >It could be worse. One of my managers tagged me with the label:
    >"Angel of Death." Anytime I went to her office to help discipline an
    >employee, the employee quit on the spot!

I got the "Angel of Death" title a few years ago. It seemed that several people I had hired for a particular department, over the course of a few months, called on the day they started to say that they couldn't come to work for us (either for that week, or never), because someone in their family had died! It's awful, but it's true...ever have a bad few months???

HS