Dilemma

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-08-02 AT 03:41PM (CST)[/font][p]If you were going to be marooned on a desert island, who would you want to be your companion? x}>
Hatchetman? Don D? Rockie? Gillian? Cristy? Margaret? Other?

Why?

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have to go with Don D. He is a hoot!! There are days when reading his posts gives me my only laugh of the day. Keep it up, Don!
  • Am surprized even one person was brave enough for this one!! Actually, I would like an hour with each and every one of all of you. Imagine what we could learn and share! Better yet, how 'bout a forum retreat/workshop/convention at some exotic location where we could all put a face with a name. Wanna flit the bill Christy?
  • Have to agree with Sonny. The retreat's a great idea - no Chicago in December or Phoenix in July though!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-02 AT 03:59PM (CST)[/font][p]>Actually,
    >I would like an hour with each and every one of all of you. Imagine
    >what we could learn and share! Better yet, how 'bout a forum
    >retreat/workshop/convention at some exotic location where we could all
    >put a face with a name. Wanna flit the bill Christy?

Weellllll, I have been wanting to take a cruise to Tahiti for some time now. xB-) I'll talk to Lee Smith, the owner and CEO of our company, about giving me a nice big raise that would cover the bill for everyone.

Okay back to the real world ... you've got my wheels turning on that one. We have our annual Advanced Employment Issues Symposium coming up this fall at two locations - Chicago, Oct 10-11 and Las Vegas, Nov 7-8. We could probably work it out to host a breakfast or dinner for you all at one of the symposiums. Monte Arnold, the conference manager, says he would cut Employer Forum members a deal on the price if we can get at least 10 or more Employers Forum members committed to coming. Although, from the number of registrants this early in the game, some of you may already be attending. We have around 600 attendees so far, so let me know if you're in that group already.

Here's what I'd need to know:
    - Is this something you'd really be interested in?
    - If this does sound like something you'd be interested in, which conference would you like to meet at (we have more space available at the Chicago conference if that makes a difference)

Here's a link to info about the seminar:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/conference/ais.shtml[/url]

Respond to this thread or e-mail me directly with your thoughts!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    e-mail: [email]webeditor@hrhero.com[/email]

P.S. Now, Don D, you realize you'd be required to attend if this makes any waves.

• I'm out here on the Island x:D (Long Island, New York)! We have the beach, sun and plenty of vineyards. Any way we could get a conference together out here in addition to Chicago and Las Vegas?
  • Mmmmm, sounds like a wonderful place for a conference. Maybe next year - if we have as many attendees this year as we anticipate, we're thinking about branching out to a third location next year or even changing up the existing locations.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Hi Christy,

I am registered for the conference in Las Vegas and would be very interested in attending a breakfast (or other) meeting of Forum members. Sounds like a great idea. I don't respond too often but I read the Forum nearly every day.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-02 AT 03:58PM (CST)[/font][p]Great JJ! I haven't heard from too many others, so if there are others out there interested in meeting at the conference, please let me know.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    E-mail: [email]webeditor@hrhero.com[/email]
  • Even though I have come out tied for dead last x:o at this point with Rockie, with no votes x:-8, I will still be going to the Vegas seminar. xB-)
  • Don't worry, Hatchetman, you are famous here at our office. I was training our Account Reps on how Employers Forum works and you were one of the people they asked about. "Who's this Hatchetman we keep seeing on the forum?" they asked. I was able to share with them how you got your forum screen name from one of your past posts:

"That job was in fact how I got my screen name, "Hatchetman". I used to enter my agency's offices in my three-piece suit, carrying my brief case, and all the employees knew that some one was getting the ax."

They thought that was pretty neat ... as long as you don't pay a surprise visit to our facility, of course. x;-)

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
  • Hatchetman: This is one you DID NOT WANT TO WIN! I have just been informed by someone who claims to know, that there are only two things on that desert island; An empty refrigerator with a blinking Miller Lite logo on the door and a 467 pound male gorilla who has not had (shall we say) companionship for 29 months.
  • Does Margaret know this? x:o
  • Wait a minute. I'm on the desert island with Paul, remember? And he has promised to take care of the admin functions. A 467-pound gorilla clearly sounds like an admin problem to me!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • You should have run a more thorough background on Paul! His uncle has raised these gorillas for years.
  • Margaret,

This is an excellent example of the value of specific job descriptions. If you will re-read my original post I clearly state that one of your strategic duties is monkey fighting.

So, any large gorillas on our island will be promptly delivered to your inbox. Now, if you will excuse me I have some grass skirts to mend.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • Not true, there is a three way tie. No votes for me either.
  • Me too! Let's, the four of us, meet in that exotic location everyone was talking about and work on improving our sense of humor so we have a chance against Don D. A nice relaxing vacation would certainly put me in a good humor! As for the strategic skills (Margaret's specialty), we can practice those in designing a getaway plan so that no one even notices we aren't still merrily working away at our desks. x:P

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
  • I agree with MOHR I'd have to go with Don D. (sorry) but if I'm marooned I need something to keep me sane and Don's attitude I think could do it x:-8
  • I'll take Margaret.

She can handle the strategic duties (food finding, establishing a viable system of government, fighting monkeys) of the island and I will field anything administrative (keeping a calendar, mending grass skirts, taking minutes).

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • My employers won't pay for me to go anywhere x:'(
  • Hey Paul, sounds like your honing your survivor skills. Margaret - I maybe could get the company to swing a Vegas trip. I'm going to check out the site...
  • Paul,

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I want a tiara if I've got to fight monkeys!I'm not sure what kind of monkey fighter I am, but 20 years in HR has prepared me for anything. I hope you will all come to the conferences. I served on a panel last year and will be the luncheon speaker in both Chicago and Las Vegas this year. The title of my speech is "Running with the Big Dogs - How to Make HR a Strategic Player."

I'd love to meet any and all of you, especially the Forum Curmugeon, Don D!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
  • If you can whip an angry monkey (and have witnesses), I will personally buy you the tiara! And will deliver it personally to your hospital room!
  • Somehow "Monkey Queen" was not what I aspired to!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-14-02 AT 08:01AM (CST)[/font][p]IF?!?! What do you mean "if" we're marooned? I can't speak for others, but I'm as marooned as one can be...minus the beach, of course. I'm the guy who is constantly fighting "The Battle of Best HR Practices" at my company, and the only way I can stay sane and keep the faith is by reading the Forum. Chicago's a bit far for this Philly boy, I'm afraid, but I think the idea is terrific. I shall be with you all in spirit. Christy, you guys gotta do an East Coast event, and what better place than the City of Brotherly Love? I will leave you with one word: cheese steaks! Wait! That's two words! You get the idea.
  • OK Guys: I have been following your responses to my posting. It seems to me that Don D.'s name was mentioned the most. Although Hatchetman and Gillian felt slighted, the results showed that people prefer a curmudgeon be marooned on the desert island. Together with the monkeys, gorillas and the empty refrigerator "sans" Miller lite (what imaginations you all have!), Don D xB-)gets the trip AND whomever he can cajole to join him. x;-)

No Don, you cannot take your computer. x:P
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 11:48AM (CST)[/font][p]The joke is on all of you! What I didn't tell you is that I positioned one person on the island two weeks ago, Al Gore. After all, he is the person who invented the internet, the riding cultivator and that cost-saving "use both sides" toilet paper. So, I knew it would be a snap for him to reload the refrigerator, Fedex the Gorilla to Margaret's home address, build a picnic table, dig a swimming pool and hook up some computers. Al just called to report that there is a new Sears side by side stocked with T-Bones, fine wine, tea, water and other enjoyables. MOHR and Anita and their immediate families are arriving Sunday. We're bringing in dancing girls from Vegas for Al and me and The Chippendale Dancers for Anita. All of you who participated are invited to 'drop by' but will only be allowed one drink ticket and a 15 minute visit. Incidentally, my wife and I will be at Graceland tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday. Ritaanz is being asked to take names while I'm out.

PS: As soon as we're sure Al has stocked and re-invented the island, he will be buried on the North side of the island and a guard posted to ensure he never resurrects.
  • My email has been busy getting messages from the people that want to be marooned with you on the island. I'm not sure if it is because they want to meet the Don they have gotten to know from the Forum or because of "the well stocked side x side".

I do know that your reputation in helping us out with our trials and tribulations as well as your sense of humor keep us coming back to the Forum for your pearls of wisdom.