Acknowledgement of Resume/Application Letter

I do not currently send out acknowledgement letters when I recieve a resume/application. Yet, I think I would like to start doing so. What has been your experience with sending letters? Does anyone have a letter they would be willing to share? If so, please email to [email]drehil@northlandcu.com[/email]. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I only send out letters to applicants that came in and had an interview. The amount of resumes, solicited and unsolicited, I receive would make it a humongous effort.
  • Long story which I don't want to get into, but my boss has now requested I send an e-mail to EVERYONE who drops off/e-mails/faxes a resume looking for unemployment.

I'm still seething.

Here's the letter:

"Thank you for your interest in (Company).

Your resume has been received and will be reviewed by appropriate management. Upon review of your resume, you may be contacted for an interview. Should you have any questions, you may e-mail them to (generic e-mail address).

Thank you again for your interest in (Company)'s employment opportunities."

Sometimes if they are applying for a specific position, I may alternatively state that we do not have any such positions open at this time.

I also have a disclaimer at the bottom which states that this letter in no way constitutes an offer of employment, guarantee of interview or promise to contact in any way...blah blah blah blah.

I love my job...I love my job...I love my job...

• Needs: Inhale deeply and take a sip of........ coffee.
  • Need Coffee - I think your boss & my GM may be twins. What a waste of time.

I love my job is my mantra!

Good luck
  • "I love my job" truly seems to be HR's mantra! I used to send out letters -- very time consuming and frustrating, especially when they would come back as undeliverable!

I've "downsized" to a simple postcard that states:

"Thank you for the interest you have shown in employment opportunities at ....."

Your qualifications and background are being reviewed with consideration given to our current requirements. If a position becomes available, we will contact you if an interview is indicated.

Thank you again for your interest.....HR Department"

Most resumes come in via email now and I've also set up my recruiting email address to send an auto-reply with a similar message. It has definitely cut down on the number of those "follow up calls" from applicants "wanting to make sure you've received my resume"!

Oh yes -- I love my job!
  • We send out pre-printed postcards ONLY if we have solicited the applications/resumes.

We have two; the first reads:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for appying for employment with ....... Our selection committee reserves the right to interview only those candidates they find most qualified. If selected for an interview you will be contacted by .........; otherwise this may be your only communication. Thank you again for your interest.

The second goes out only to those interviewed:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for interviewing for employment with ........... After careful review, a decision has been made not to advance your application to the next level. On behalf of......, thank you for the time and effort spent preparing your application materials and for participating in the interview process.

• We send postcards and an auto-response to anyone that applies.

Playing devil's advocate on this one, thought it was the right thing to do as it acknowledges we have it (which saves time fielding calls or e-mails), thanks them for taking the time to think of us and is something that our team agreed that in an applicant's shoes we would want to have.

Here's our message:

Thank you for expressing an interest in employment opportunities at ______. Your resume will be reviewed by our employment staff. If your background is a match with any of our current openings, we will be in contact with you. If not, your resume will be kept on file for future reference.

Again, thank you for considering ________ as your employer of choice. We wish you success in your career endeavors.

• Thanks for all your responses. I took the good, bad and the ugly of this and decided to proceed with the letter and email acknowledgements. I'm so hoping it will stop most of the phone calls. Thanks again.