Attendance Policy for Exempt Status

Help please. I am trying to come up with an attendance policy that will work for exempt personnel. We have a couple of people who abuse the system and we need to address it in writing. I am at a stumbling block and don't know where to go. I need to know, is it company preference on how we word the policy, and can you have different rules for exempt and non-exempt.

If anyone would like to share your polices with me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Exempt positions are paid for the job, while hourly positions are paid by the hour. If your exempt employees are not getting their work done due to abusing the system, then I would address them on that note. In other words, it is a performance issue.

If they are getting their work done, then perhaps you need to look at the work allocation and see just why they have so much extra time.

We rarely mind if an exempt employee is taking off a lot of time as long as their work is being done and the time issue only lasts a few weeks. If we have an exempt employee who is considerably late every day or taking a lot of half days, then we address it by reminding them that their behavior is being viewed negatively by others and causing disruption. We expect exempt employees to behave at a higher level than hourly employees and to set an example. Attitude and performance go hand in hand.

If you already have a policy in place for your hourly employees, chances are it will translate well into one for your exempt employees. We do not have a separate policy, and rarely do we have any problem with our exempt employees. As I said, it is a performance or attitude issue and we address it as such.

Good luck!

Nae