Job Descriptions -- HELP!!

We are a commercial offset printing company (under 100 employees) wherein I act as HR Manager, Safety Manager, Environmental Manager and Facilities Manager of a 165,000 square foot building plagued with problems. Suffice it to say that a 55 hour work week is the norm.

In the past, it has always been our practice to have the managers write/update job descriptions with my assistance. We have just recently "right-sized" our company and consolidated several positions and upgraded other positions. Needless to say, our job descriptions our outdated and need to be re-written, a task our CEO now wants me to take on. A little more information -- I do not come from a print background, which is very job specific. Without spending at least a week with nearly each employee (time I absolutely do not have) to learn their responsibilities, I'm a little stymied as to how I could possibly succeed. Even our managers are dumbfounded over this transfer of responsibilities.

When doing a little round-tabling here locally, I continue to get the same response -- job descriptions should be completed by the managers, with HR overseeing this task.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe you are 100% right!! Can you compile some research supporting this fact and present it to your CEO for review? If you feel there is no swaying your CEO, then it looks like you have a large job in front of you!! You will have to take it one step at a time. Start by identifying each position in your company, then identifying each supervisor. You will have to sit down with each supervisor to get a grasp of each positions job duties. There are different forms of software that can help you write the descriptions once you have them defined. I recently purchases "Descriptions Now", it's very helpful.
  • We always start with the person doing the job, no one knows better than him what he does 8 hours a day. We then have the supervisor review and correct--maybe we don't want him doing some of the things he is doing, or maybe he is not doing some of the things he should. Then it is sent to HR for final review and approval.
  • This is a very large job you have been given.

There is a lot of help out there for you on the internet you can find sample job descriptions and you can purchase softwear to help write them.

I have a template the employee fills out , than I run it by the supervisor and get their imput. I than have a template I use to write the job description usually after I have checked in my BLR handbook and my occupational outlook handbook for my state.

If you think my templates would help I will share them with you.

Shirley
    [email]smcallister@aimintl.com[/email]
  • You have existing job descriptions... I presume none of the duties have gone away, they've just been shifted to someone else. It seems like a matter of combining parts of multiple descriptions to fit each of the new jobs. It doesn't seem like you have to reinvent the wheel.