Pay stubs

We have been asked by an employee to take their social security number and address off of their pay stub. My reason for leaving it on there is so that if an employee goes to get a loan the first thing the bank asks for is a pay stub and if the social security number isn't on there then the employee comes to me asking for a payroll report. Any suggestions?

CindyH

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just my opinion, but I think they should not be on any of your pay stubs, not just those that request it be taken off.

In some cases, the address could stay on if you mail the check and the address shows up in the envelope window, but I would absolutely honor any request to remove the SS#.

Requests from lenders usually ask for more info than you will give them, but at a minimum they want to know hire date, title, and to confirm pay. As long as you are in the payroll software, no big deal to add in SS#.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-17-06 AT 01:49PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We process payroll inhouse and we formatted the check stubs to reflect SSN's as ***-**-####. I agree the whole # should not be on the stub.

We include the whole mailing address on the paycheck. Some employees have provided us with a PO Box for their payroll record.

If no address is available on the paystubs, would it be printed on the W-2's or do you personally deliver those? If all your staff are in one building and you have personal control over W-2 delivery I suppose it doesn't matter, except for termed employees. We mail ours to all staff, current or termed.
  • You may want to check requirements. I know TX has so funny things that we are "required" to put on pay stubs (number hours paid for, etc.)
    If you hire a payroll processing company you might want to discuss this with them as well and see what they recommend.
    E Wart