Old Employee Files

We just moved some offices around and I came face-to-face with stacks of file boxes full of old employee files.

How long are we legally obligated to hang onto an employee's file after they are terminated? Is it regulated by state or by federal govt.?

Thanks much,
Cheryl C.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We purge our old personnel files seven years after their termination. There are the "special" ones that we keep just in case they ever apply again - we won't hire them.
  • I am unaware of a specific law regarding personnel files. Rather, there are laws regarding items usually kept IN the files. Look at your industry and let that help you determine how long to keep your files. I read that it is recommended that hospitals keep their personnel files for 30 years or more. Since they have to keep a number of files 30 years, that makes since for them.

I have also heard formites say that they don't want to keep them more than 3 years. If they have problems after that and the files can't be produced...they think they are better off this way.

We keep quite a few different records here, but the longest we have to keep anything is 7 years. So, for convenience we keep most things 7 years. It is basically your call. Look at your industry and what records your company needs to keep. If your personnel records have an impact, then keep them as long as the longest kept record.

Good luck!

Nae