Policy Manual & Employee Handbooks

We are looking at updating our Employee Policy Manual and I'm looking for some guidance. I am not trained in HR but am doing it for our company (we are a Highway Heavy Contractor). My questions are:

1. I see references to Policy Manuals and Employee Handbooks. Are these one in the same?

2. Does anyone have the policies available on their website or is it best to provide printed copies to new employees?

3. We are also looking for someone to provide some guidance in verbage, what should/shouldn't be included etc. We are located near Sioux Falls, SD so would like someone in the area. Any suggestions?

I appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome to the Forum, E Hammer. This is a great resource and I hope you find it useful.

Some people use the terms policy manual and employee handbook interchangeably. For me, there is a difference. The policy manual is a detailed recitation of the company's policies and procedures. In our company, the employee handbook (which every new hire receives) is a "Readers' Digest" version of the policy manual and contains condensed material designed to help the employee become acclimated to a company's policies. In our company, we include a disclaimer at the front of the handbook which alerts them to the fact that it is not the policy manual, but a handbook and any questions regarding policy should be directed to their supervisor or to HR.

Website posting of handbooks and manuals is becoming increasingly popular, but always make sure that new hires are told (a) how to access the policy/handbook; (b)have them sign a statement that they have received instructions on how to access the material and acknowledging that they know it is their responsibility to read, understand and comply with the policies. This statement should be included in their personnel files.
  • Allow me to also welcome you to the forum. I don't disagree with anything PB told you above, but I'll put in my two cents.

1) For our company, they are the same. However, we probably need to get more out of the handbook and into a policy manual.

2) We do not have our policies on a web site. Not all of our employees would be able to access them anyway. It depends on your business, I'd say. But definitely get a signed acknowledgement.

3) The firm that writes the SD Law Letter published by M Lee Smith is:
    Lynn, Jackson, Shultz & Lebrun, P.C.
    Metropolitan Bank Plaza, Suite 800, 909 St. Joseph St., Rapid City, SD 57701
    800/593-1084

That isn't very close to you. I haven't a clue how law firms work, if they could recommend someone on your end of the state or not.

Coincidentally, Lorman is doing a training in Sioux Falls in February on writing handbooks. A link to the brochure can be found here: [url]http://brochures.lorman.com/360636.pdf[/url] or here:
    [url]http://www.lorman.com/seminars/seminar_orderform.php?sku=360636[/url]

I just returned from a Lorman training session and at least in Nebraska, I think they do a good job. Plus it gives you an opportunity to ask the questions you have and get them answered! At least in Nebraska, the lawyers who present provide their e-mail addresses and will allow participants to contact them with basic questions. They'll let you know if you're crossing over the line into needing some real legal advice, and if it's general, they'll just answer it.

If nothing else, the two lawyers presenting might be "in your area" enough - looks like both are north of Sioux Falls. They might also be willing to recommend someone closer if you're the other way.

Finally, HR Hero.com has a ton of resources that can help in writing a handbook/manual. Log on to the subscriber area, and scroll down to HR Tools for a list of sample policies. In the column on the right, under Hot Topics, there is link for Personnel Policies with some things to keep in mind. If nothing else, contact your friendly state representative for HR Hero - it says they can help you use HR Hero.com. Sometimes it helps to have someone point you in the direction of where to look.

Good luck and happy writing!
  • Our law firm, Lynn, Jackson, Shultz & Lebrun does all of types of employment handbook and policy manual work. We'd love to help you figure out the way to go and how best to get the policies into the hands of employees. Please call Jon Sogn or Cammie Theeler in our Sioux Falls office 605/332-5999 800/289-5999 or I would be happy to help you from Rapid City, 800/593-1084; 605/342-2592. It's pretty simple to email back and forth the policy proposals and changes. Jane Pfeifle
  • I just wrote one for our company. What is your e mail address and I'll attach a copy. Why re-invent the wheel?
    My address is [email]eaa43230@yahoo.com[/email].
    Liz