Video Tapings/Recorders

10/26/05 Our Company is in the heating and air conditioning industry as a service contractor. We perform residential and commercial work. We are considering video taping/recording our findings on bad heat exchangers or other carbon monoxide causing defects that would harm the customer, causing severe sickness, including possibly death. Using a video camera would help document our findings when these defects are found. Has anyone come across any negatives for this video/camera exposure in their business? Are there any liabilities that we may be exposed to should we decide to use this procedure? Any feedback from people not wanting video/cameras/recorders in their establishment? We would appreciate as much sharing of info and legal feedback that we can get. We are operating in the state of Indiana.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You should go through legal counsel for this.

Lots of releases, permissions and the like to arrange - not even considering the quality of the production or the exposure you might be jumping into for portraying other companies, products and/or people to damaging public exposure, which could bring in libel and slander issues.
  • Welcome to the Forum, Myrna!

I'm not sure I understand, but it sounds like your employee would videotape the customer's equipment for viewing by your employees and the customer. No secret recordings, no one else looking at the video, right? And I assume you'd get the customer's permission first. If you limit the taping like that, you could avoid some of the potential problems Marc mentioned.

Depending on exactly what you plan to do, a lawyer might be a good idea.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com