I-9 form

hi
I wanted to see if anybody else deals with this issue.... our company has employees all over the country and in some cases they work out of our client's premises. Sometimes this means there are no managers around to verify and sign I-9 forms within the first few days of employment or even first few weeks. I usually have them mail me the form with copies of documents until a manager can verify originals. Does anyone have a different suggestion how to handle these? Thanks!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since the law requires that we view original documents, not copies, the alternative that comes to mind is a notorized statement, requiring that a notary witness signatures and view documents. It would be much too expensive to 'employ' someone else to act as your agent every time you hire somebody remotely.

When the I-9 program first started, all of the employment security (labor depatrments of states?) offices nationwide had the authority to cut the I-9 on behalf of the employer if the job opening was listed there. I don't know if they still do that or not, although I doubt it.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • My suggestion is to make an arrangement with a temporary agency in the locale where the employee is and have them act as your agent for your initial employee processing. They could present them with your documents, have them sign any forms and also complete the I-9 for you and verify original documents, etc. I have done this (and still do on ocassion). It works well. Granted, it doesn't cost me a dime in other offices since the company I use gets a ton of business from me in two other states. You will notice this is acceptable since the I-9 calls for "signature of employer or authorized representative".

Gene
  • Thanks for your suggestion!