Form Developed in Microsoft Word

I have designed a form in Microsoft Word and locked the form into place and sent it to employees to complete. However, they need to run a spellcheck on it and with it locked into place they cannot run the spellcheck. Has anyone come up with this problem before and do you know if there is a way to allow the employee to run the spellcheck without telling them how to unlock the form?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not sure what you mean by "locking" the form. You can protect the form, where there are certain fields that cannot be changed, but where people can still enter information. Once the information is completed, they can run a spell check on the form and make corrections to fields that are not protected.

I guess the main question is what kind of form is it. You can use the forms tool bar to customize the document and set the fieldds that can be used.

I have a form that I use for U/C hearings. I created a table for all of the preliminary information (date of hire, separation date, etc.) that I put in a table. I created drop down form boxes in the table (using the forms tool bar) and entered selections for these fields. In other fields, I protected them using a data box so any information can be entered (such as decision-makers name, reason for separation, etc.) I then have an area for closing comments, etc. All of the identifying fields are protected. I did this by selecting protect documents under the tools heading and choosing to protect the form. This way, none of my heading can be changed, but I can enter information for each hearing. Anyone can enter information into the gray fields (data and drop down boxes). They can unprotect the document and make changes to headings because I did not enable the password protection feature. I am sure you can customixe that. I have no problems performing the spell check, unlike here on the forum, where my spelling leaves a lot to be desired.
  • This is basically what I have done also but did not want the employees to have to unlock the form to use spell check. With the form locked, it does not give them the option to use spellcheck. I have someone working on a possible macro to see if that would work and if it does, he will instruct me on how to do this on the others. Thanks for your suggestions.