risky skirt requirement

Our restaurant has uniform requirments for each position. Is it a bad idea to require female hosts to wear skirts? The managers argument is that they are the first line of customer contact so a higher standard may be set. Servers can wear pants or skirts but do not have the same job role as hosts.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's not a bad idea if that's what the owner or manager wants it to be. The requirement is not a violation of any discrimination laws. The employer does have the right to establish it's own dress code for the purpose of business image. I'm assuming that the requirement for skirts does not contain adjectives like 'short', 'tight', or 'mini.'
  • funny...though that may be what some of our customers would prefer, I was thinking "skirts must be knee to ankle length with a wasteline that rests above the hipbone. Skirts must be black, simple in style, and free of adornment."

We had an unacceptable ruffle incident.
  • My God! The dreaded unacceptable ruffle incident. Please go on.....

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**
  • Yes, unfortunate but true. After recently reposting the uniform requirements (that included a skirt for hosts as optional, not mandatory), a manager overheard a host, quite vocal to her new trainees, telling them just what she thought of the dress code and her intent to keep wearing her ruffles. When she followed through on her intend, after verbal warning, she was issued a written warning for uniform violation.

If you give them a ruffle allowance, what kind of anarchy will follow?

In all seriousness, it never ceases to facinate me the lenghts to which hourly employees will fight a dress code requirements.