Destroy Applicant Paperwork (Arizona)

From what I understand, we should keep job applicant paperwork/files for 3 years. Are we ok if we destroy an applicant's paperwork, before that time, because they specifically requested that we do so?

We received a letter from a job applicant, who was not hired, requesting that we destroy all her application and screening information. If we keep a copy of the signed request, can we destroy everything else?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You will need to comply with whatever your state law requires, be it 1 yr. or 3 yrs.

I would never destroy any applicants paperwork prior to the designated required period. What right does an applicant have to tell you to destroy their paperwork? Your files are your property not theirs!!!
  • I would ignore the request. Although an odd scenario, consider the possibility that after you destroy it, the applicant files an EEOC charge alleging you illegally discriminated against her in your hiring process. The EEOC asks you to produce the application and resume and requires that you tell them who you hired and why. You tell them you have no record of the applicant having applied or that you shredded her application and resume. Where do you reckon this will go?

Can you think of ANY good reason to destroy an application other than in accordance with your normal destruction policy?