Policy update

Our policy and procedures handbook is read by new employees on the first day of employment. We go over the policies with them and they sign an acknowledgement form. WE DO NOT PROVIDE COPIES TO EMPLOYEES. AZ is a state at will and owners will not provide the information ( this is the way it is period). Last year we changed our vacation policy and I send memo to all employees and posted the information. This year we are making some new changes to our policy. What would be the best way to communicate these cahnges to the employees. Another Memo? Do they new to sign a new acknowledgment form?
Thanks for the help

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I find it almost insane that an employer having an employee handbook will not distribute it. I don't know what to say. Post a copy in pencil above the urinal? I'm not sure there's a solution to the real problem there.
  • At the least, you should have them sign something acknowledging they were provided with the opportunity to read the policy and agree to abide by it.

I too cannot imagine withholding a copy of the policy handbook from employees. The whole point is to communicate the company's expectations to them. Is it possible that the handbook is written more in the form of a supervisor's model for policy enforcement? Perhaps a summary version could be separated out for employees.
  • I agree with Don and DWMS. I work with our manual almost daily, still the EEs come up with questions regarding policies that I cannot answer without looking up the actual policy and reading it. I have a decent memory and recall talent, still I cannot imagine being held accountable for a volume of pages you get to read on day one and need to remember for the rest of your employment with the company. I suspect that is true for the majority of us.

This is a practice that should be changed.

Still, in answer to your question, you should have the EEs acknowledge receipt of every change, in writing.

If you change enough of the policies, the EEs will eventually have a complete copy if the keep all their memos.
  • From my understanding is that you only need to make the amendment available to ALL employees and you don't need a confirmation that they reviewed it. I would suggest you post the Ammendment on your website and they stick a littel note in as a payroll stuffer to go to the [url]www..[/url]... to see the new ammendment. If they choose not to go, well you did your part.