First Responders

Does any one have First Responders in the workplace? We have decided to implement one and have a policy for our participating employees....but we've had a hard time getting qualified people for 2nd and 3rd shifts. The security guards (contracted through an outside company) have expressed an interest in the training (paid for by us)..but we will need to add an addendum to their contract detailing liability and so forth...

does anyone have a similar policy prepared?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure about having to have a policy prepared. We certainly do have first responders. Twelve of them. They all have annual first aid update training including respirator fit, CPR, fire drill, fire extinguisher, basic first aid and we just finished the automated defibrillator training and have our shiney new defib unit hanging on the wall, hoping to never have to use it. Our requirement is that we have their names on a list in a central safety manual, they sign off on all training, and we document all their training.
  • Thanks Don. The contractor for the Security Staff wants to amend the Agreement to reflect these new duties, even though there will be no additional compensation at this time. I guess he's covering his butt in the event a guard is sued by an employee over care provided.

We didn't see a need for an internal policy either, we'd just planned to keep records, much like you do.

• I'm just not comfortable with a vendor's personnel being on the first responder team. But, if you can't get anyone else to do it.........

There seems to be a bit of a status symbol affect here attached to being on the first responder team. They get to attend multiple paid training sessions, attend safety meetings on the clock, get shirts with their designation on them and thgey get an occasional off-site lunch. I guess it's just the additional pride, sort of like when Goober saved Andy's life in the filling station when Andy passed out from the gas leak.
  • We weren't crazy about it either, BUT we didn't want to send a message to the 2nd and 3rd shift staff that they weren't as important! The 2nd and 3rd shift guards volunteered when they heard about the program and since they tend to be long-term ee's...we agreed.

We'll see how it works out...hopefully, we'll never need the services!!

Do you do your training through the Red Cross?
  • We have used the Red Cross, the local fire department and most recently, the company that sold us our $3500 Automated External Defibrillator unit provided a 7 hour class for a maximum of ten first responders that included Defib and CPR combined. Our local Community College has an AA degree program in whatever the ambulance techs are and they have also offered to provide our training, free.