Feedback on Draft Performance Evaluation Form

Per the City Administrator, a Team made of 9 individuals (supervisors and non-supervisors) are drafting a new perf eval. There are two portions of the form that I would like some feedback on from others. This evaluation form is to be used for ALL city employees (clerical, professional, supervisors, EMS, police, etc.)

1) The eval categories are Job Knowledge, Quality of Work, Productivity, Reliability, Cooperation, Appearance, Public Relations, Safety, Use of Resources, Communications, Decision Making, Planning and Organizing. The two categories pertaining to supervisory skills (Motivation and Counseling) have been removed with the thought being that the supervisory skills are included in the other categories. What do you think?

2) At the bottom of the form is a line that states "Number of sick hours used during this evaluation period" followed by a blank line and a space for comments. We are subject to FMLA. The Reliability category is defined to include tardiness and getting work done on time, but not attendance. What problems could this cause for the City? What suggestions do you have?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If the one form is to be generic and used throughout city government, I agree that it's best not to have categories that just pertain to special jobs, like the two you mentioned for supervisors. I agree that the more generic the better.

On the issue of 'number of sick days', how loud can you shout the word NO. There should never, ever be any mention of illness related absences or illness related performance issues on a performance review form or other company document for that matter. Never. The thought being you do not discipline for illness. There would be no other reason to have it there.