Seniority and PTO?

Hello! I am in the process of writing a PTO policy and was wondering what others do as far as granting time off? Do you go by seniority or some other method?

We have long term employees who always get the "choice" days off (days near a holiday.) Some supervisors would like to rotate the choice days between other staff and others want to keep the seniority rules.

What do you do?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since I've worked here 12 years, I think seniority is very important. x:D But it shouldn't be the ONLY factor you consider, or it'd be unfair to people who have been with you for a few years.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • We negotiate a rotation. We start by requiring staff to log-in vacation requests in December for the following year. It is inevitable that requests cluster around 3 day weekends and holidays, especially Christmas and Thanksgiving. We then negotiate with people who have too many requests around those popular times and limit them to one or two of the favorites. If we still have coverage issues, we then look at what happened last year and start the rotation dialogue. It is complex, but the EEs like it and think we are even-handed and fair. And how often do you achieve that with EEs?