Management Training Program

Does anyone in the financial industry (or other) have a formal management training program and if so, can you share the components with me? This is something that department managers have been asking for in the last 2 weeks and I feel that someone has set an agenda without telling me. Where would you start?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-18-03 AT 08:34AM (CST)[/font][p]We are not in the finance industry, but I suppose management training in all industries would be the same, despite the technical differences in job supervision.

I would suggest that you ascertain the job competencies of the your managers before you assess where your managers are at. Once you are able to identiy the gaps in competencies, then tailor your program to meet those needs.

A generic management training program can look like this:

- Skills : general supervision of employees, ability to identify performance issues, designing, setting and meeting goals and objectives of dept, public speaking skills, coaching and counselling of employees, performance appraisals, conducting effective meetings, problem-solving, time management, project management, just to name a few.

- Knowledge : management concepts of employee motivation, employment laws, policies and procedures of the company and their rationale behind them, and others (depending on company's culture and strategic directions (like balanced scorecard etc)).

- Aptitude : Team-player (put them thru a team building camp with other managers -need to build them to see the same vision), leadership vs management.

You may not be able to meet all the managers' needs at one training session, it may be more effective to put them through a series of sessions, then will bring them back to discuss as a team again. This will allow the senior managers to see how effective the previous trainings were and whether learning has indeed taken place.

Hope the above helps.

• Gracie,

Thank you for your response. We already have this type of training in place, funded in part by a State grant. What I was looking for (more specifically), was a program in which new "Management Trainee" hires would rotatte from department to department, learning the ABC's of the business. Does anyone invest months of training on just one person?
  • >Gracie,
    >
    >Thank you for your response. We already have this type of training in
    >place, funded in part by a State grant. What I was looking for (more
    >specifically), was a program in which new "Management Trainee" hires
    >would rotatte from department to department, learning the ABC's of the
    >business. Does anyone invest months of training on just one person?

We have a description of our management training program on our website, which is [url]www.parknationalbank.com[/url]. I hope this helps a little.
  • I had gone through a management trainee program with my former employer which was a bank. Those in the program would rotate their training in the various areas of the bank. It has been several years so I can remember the exact details but I know that the training varied for each trainee - based on their prior experience and how quickly they were able to gain an understanding.
    It started with operations training in a branch. The trainee would get exposure to bookkeeping (2 weeks), teller (2-3 weeks), general operations working with an assistant ops supervisor or operations supervisor(maybe another 2-3 weeks), from there you would go to the customer service area (new accounts) for a month or so, then on to consumer lending for another month or so. During this time you would be getting direct training while working in the branch, but thoughout the phases, the trainee would report for classroom training as well (example: during the teller training phase they may spend one week directly in the branch getting general training, then go to "teller school" which as a 1 week class, then go back to the branch for two more weeks on the teller line.) The bank had classroom training for the teller area, customer service area, and consumer lending area. There was a training department in the company who set up the classes and either directly provided instruction or sometimes had outsiders or video for some aspects of the training such as sales.
    About half way through the program based on the trainee's strengths and interests as well as the needs of the company, a determinatiion would be made as to whether they would focus on operations or lending. If if was lending they would then get further training in the consumer lending area, and get exposure in the other departments focused on lending such as the dealer center which handled auto loans, or residential mortgage lending, etc. If the focus was operations, the trainee would get some exposure to the other departments but the focus would be getting them in the branch in the operations area and working side by side with the operations supervisor.
    During the last few months of training, the trainee might spend one month at one branch then move to another branch across town to get more experience with a different client base. Also, once they developed a certain degree of knowledge, their rotations might coincide with vacations in the branch so that when a loan officer was on vacation, the trainee may report to that branch and run their desk for the week or two while they were out.
    The whole program could run anywhere from a year to a year and a half - sometimes a little longer depending on the needs of the company, availability of positions, and if the trainee was assigned special assignments.

Hope this helps.
  • Thank you all................ this is exactly what I was looking for! Now to see if I can find the extra $'s somewhere to make it happen.....