Employees who bring children to work with them--every day

This may sound crazy but does anyone have a written policy concerning children coming to work with a parent? Or even for that matter, spouses hanging around while their spouse is on shift? I work in a hospital and visitors are always welcome. We, of course, have waiting rooms for the use of the public so I'm not exactly sure where you draw the line. I feel strongly that they should not be in work areas and that is what is happening now. Any policies or suggestions?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Although we do not have a written policy, family members not permitted in the employee's work area. That includes spouse, children, etc. If they need to see/meet the employee during work hours, they can call ahead and meet them in the lobby or Cafeteria or Coffee Shop, a public lounge area, or even come to the HR Department. If they pick the employee up after work, they meet them outside of our hospital or wait in the public lounge areas. There are many reasons why you would not want family members in hospital work areas, not the least of which are confidentiality issues, but liability, as well (possibility of infectious disease, bloodborne pathogens, etc.).