Empoyee Personal Data

After an applicant is hired for a position with our company they are
required to complete an application packet, lots of paperwork. One of the areas is for reporting to different agencies such as the EEOC. One of the areas we track is race. Our application has a check place for Caucasian, Hispanic, African American, Asian, American Indian and other. We seem to be having compliants from the African American people who take offense, so I am asking what others use. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >After an applicant is hired for a position with our company they are
    >required to complete an application packet, lots of paperwork. One of
    >the areas is for reporting to different agencies such as the EEOC.
    >One of the areas we track is race. Our application has a check place
    >for Caucasian, Hispanic, African American, Asian, American Indian and
    >other. We seem to be having compliants from the African American
    >people who take offense, so I am asking what others use. Thanks for
    >your input.

You refer above to "after" an applicant is hired, and then say that your application has a check place for race. Is this request for race on your application or on forms filled out after a job offer is made and accepted? The answer to that will make a BIGGGGGGGG difference.
  • We have a seperate form that goes along with the application that asks them to self identify and informs them that the information is voluntary. It is also included in the new hire paperwork along with the Veteran and Disablity self identify form-again voluntary. I have always seen as a seperate form-managers don't see as part of the application review process. I will be happy to send you the form if you like.
  • Thanks, I would appreciate your form. Fax: 325 692-9660

The information is requested after a job offer has been accepted.
  • After hire you can ask this type information - it's only before hire when you get into trouble!
  • Hi - saw your post from a while back but wondered if it was possible to obtain a copy of the form for your AAP data that new employees filled out regarding their race, etc. We have less than 150 employees so we are considered a small business in the AAP arena but since I am new at this, need all the help I can get as I have developed the AA plan and am very muuch, still learning. You can fax to 207-487-3240 or attach in email at
    [email]bhamilton@almy.com[/email]. Thanks so much
  • What offends these applicants? I don't quite understand. Is it the fact that your asking for this information at all? We also have a separate EEOC tracking form that is voluntary at application and is separated from application as soon as applicant turns in application. We've never received a complaint. We do have some that don't fill that out which is their prerogative.
  • If your company has a government required affirmative action plan, possibly the result of a government contract or subcontract, you ARE required to track the demographics on applicants as well as hires. But, I notice in your post that you mention the EEOC needs this. They have no authority to require that you track demographics on applicants, none. In fact, I once won a lengthy EEOC battle by showing that I could not have discriminated against an applicant racially because I never saw her, never spoke with her on the phone, never interviewed her and had no idea what her race was, although she provided a resume and application. Wouldn't the EEOC love for us to provide that on applications and tracking systems of applicant inquiries? For EEo-1 reports, which are post hire figures, you do have to make a reasonable stab at the race of those hired. Either make a good faith guess or ask the to complete a voluntary form.
  • And I have a related question. Would you classify as African American a Caucasian who had been born in Africa who immigrated to the United States or perhaps was a second generation Caucasian American of African descent?
  • After hire, isn't it up to the employee to "identify" what classification they use. I had 2 employees who were "white" until our affirmative action policy was in place. They came to me and identified themselves as "American Indian".

• Self identification is voluntary. If they self identify, you have to use the race they give you. If they do not, you have to go by what they appear to be.
  • If an employee failed to mark a box, rather than guessing, I'd just approach them, say "I need to report statistics to (whomever) and would you please indicate how you'd like to be included in the report?"

I've had employees tell me "mom is pink and dad is blue. Which am I?" I tell them "pick whichever one you prefer".

It's difficult to pidgeonhole all of us into just a few little categories, isn't it?
  • To avoid "compliants" I use the terminology used by the EEOC -- that way there is no guessing. If the ee is offended reiterate to them the form is voluntary and they do not have to complete it -- remember you cannot please everyone.

(At one job I had an employee check "other" and tell me they were German -- I used the "other" category.)