HR Strategic Plan

I have been assigned to write a HR Strategic Plan for our organization. We currently do not have one, and I have never written one. Does anyone have a sample or outline of the elements I should include? Maybe just a layout that I could follow. I am new to the organization, and am still learning the culture of this medical facility. I've been here one month.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • To write a strategic HR plan, you need to first understand the business strategic plan. Ask for a copy of the current strategic plan and read it. Then find out who is writing the upcoming strategic plan. Go see that person and tell him/her you want to understand where the business is going so that you can underpin all the business plans with the HR things needed to make those plans successful.

Things you should be thinking about are what kind of talent will the business need next year, three years out, five years out and ten years out? What kinds of new businesses will we be getting into or services will we be offering? What parts of our business will be expanding? All of these will effect who you hire and what skills they will need. Also, what will your internal training iniatives be to keep the current employees up to speed? How will you grow the talent your organization will need in the next few years from within? Then really impress them by looking at how many of your employees can retire within the next five years and map out a plan for how you pass their knowledge on to the next generation. Refer to it as "halting the knowledge/experience drain from our organization."

Also ask about business cycles. My medical clients talk about how much more business they have in the winter due to flu. They have to staff up or pay more overtime. Think like a business person who has resposibiity for HR.

Hope that helps. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss this further.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Margarets input is great. I am not familar with strategic plans being an assignment for one person. I have always done them as part of group/agency wide project. .no department should exist in a vaccuum (as Margaret notes check the business plan, if there is one) and I am hard pressed to think of a successful one without input from other depts. Good luck.