Leave of Absence Forms

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-26-03 AT 10:10AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-26-03 AT 10:09 AM (CST)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-26-03 AT 10:09 AM (CST)[/font]

Will some of you please tell me how you handle this form.I am the person who designed our leave form and I keep track of all of the time taken by employees. When someone calls in sick I fill out the form, deduct it from their sick time available,and when I do payroll I attach the form to their time cards for verification and date and signatures from the supervisor and employee. This way I make sure I get a form from everyone. My problem is this. We have a supervisor who criticizes just about everything I do. She went to our boss and said that I should not be filling these forms out. It should be done by the employee, even though the supervisors and employees must sign and date this form. The other supervisors appreciate me doing this since they do not know how much sick time each employee has available. I do the work for them. Is there anything WRONG with the way I do it? It works VERY well, I get the form back the way it should be done, and the supervisors don't have to call me everytime they want to know if someone has time available. Is there anything illegal about me filling the form out with their name, department, the type of leave it is and the hours deducted.....They still have to sign and date the form to verify what I write on the form.
Thank you all so much for your help..........
Nevada

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The issues you mention are simply your company's policies and procedures and aren't regulated by any law I know of. Perhaps you could stop doing the forms for this supervisor's employees and let him/her handle it.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • James,
    Thank you for your opinion. It's a great idea, however, I feel that it's my department, my form and my neck if the time requested isn't correctly administered. This is the reason for the form. Does that make sense? I really appreciate your time and help. It means a lot to me to get other advice. Thank you again James!
    Liz

• I am wondering why you want the extra work. I have designed, and seen designed, many new forms. Sometimes it takes a while for employees to get it, but in the long run, at least in my experience, they have a better understanding of what is most important and why. In the case of leave forms, our employees fill out requests and it is up to the manager/supervisor to approve or not. If the form comes to me incomplete, it goes right back. It has been a long time since I had to return one. Also, if someone higher up has questions, I am not the one trying to explain what is going on. It goes back to the department head who cannot then blame me for an inadequate explanation (again, been some time since this has happened).

Are you making a mountain out of a molehill?

After considering all above, if you want to keep on completing the form, I see no reason why you shouldn't. Tell the supervisor that it is your responsibility and if they want to take it to a higher authority they can. Of course, you must be willing to have an adequate response to the 'powers that be' as to why you should keep the responsibility.

Good luck!
  • Thank you NaeNae55 for your reply. I really do appreciate it.