Affirmative Action

I am new to this HR position and I have been informed by the Office Manager that this organization does not need an affirmative action policy. When I inquired as to why, she didn't know but was informed by the previous Human Resource Person that we didn't need to comply. I've tried to find out if this is true and have been unlucky locating any information. If anyone has ideas as to where I should go for informtion or if we should be in compliance, I'd appreciate your input. We are located in New Hampshire.

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a manual written for "Employers in the South" covering Alabama and Mississippi by Aspen Publishers, Inc. Customer Service 800-234-1660. That has answered a lot of questios for me - also a beginner.

Call them and see if they have a manual for your area.

From what I have learned it is not a requirement of employers with under 50 employees. Also to further that, unless you are a government contractor you dont have to have a written affirmative action plan. So firstly, if you dont work with the government and have less then 50 employees you are not required to have a plan.

The only exception I have found to that is if you have had a complaint filed against you and then you might be required to have a plan...depends on the out come of the case.

• Also, banks are generally required to have Affirmative Action Plans. (Some type of government regulation involved).

Good Luck!
  • Affirmative Action is a federal requirement of government contractors or sub-contractors with employees over 50 in a 75 mile radius. Be sure that someone you do work does not hold a government contract.
  • Chances are that if your company has not had one, then you don't need to be concerned about needing one (an affirmative action plan, that is). If I had been your manager and you asked me why we did not need one, I would have asked you, "What is it that makes you think we do need one?" There are very few instances in which a formal affirmative action plan is required.

If you are a contractor or subcontractor to a government prime-contractor of the right dollar-size, you will be told by the prime contractor or will receive a certification form from them to fill out, asking if you have one and advising that you must. This is because they must have one and so must their contractors and they must have a signed document from all their subs that the subs do have one as well. So, don't freak out if you think you are a subcontractor. Wait for somebody to send you a certification form. Again, if your company's been doing business with a company who is a government prime contractor than that obligation would roll down to you and your company would have been notified.

We may be confusing affirmative action policies with affirmative action plans, the latter most frequently being a government required, extensive, annually updated document. Any employer, regardless of size, is wise to write and post an affirmative action POLICY which is an internally recognized and advocated pledge to have available opportunities, services and conditions without regard to race, sex, religion, etc. This is just good business practice and fosters good morale. If he says, "Nah, we don't need any of that stuff around here," find another place to work.

• Banks need aap if they sell and/or redeem savings bonds. If they do they are considered govt. contractors. There is no $ requirement for savings bonds.
  • Don,
    Your reply helped me a lot. In my last job, we had an AAP and the corporate office provided tremendous support.

Now, I am with a smaller company but still large enough for an AAP, and I AM the corporate HR department. (Meaning nobody else to call at corporate) I was told we didn't need to have an AAP, by someone who wasn't really sure anyway. We have a sizeable contract with a state agency, and the contract is funded federally. I have had difficulty figuring out whether or not we need an AAP.

Your comments helped, in that if we DID need one, I would have heard from someone by now!

I support the intent of AA, but I find the paperwork and application tracking to be reaaallllly cumbersome and honestly, I am relieved! x:D