personnel files and I-9 forms

I am developing a service that will allow small employers to outsource their day to day HR activities to me. Are there any issues with me managing their personnel files and I-9 documents at my facility (off their campus)? Obviously, I can manage the content better if they are in my control.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think I'd run that one by a labor law attorney. Surely you already have one if you are forming an HR outsourcing company. The issue of confidentiality will be interesting. Particularly if you have the medical files. I can't really imagine a circumstance when I would think it convenient to outsource our personnel files OR I-9 files. The employer and its management staff will have far more need on a regular basis to go into these files than a file manager such as yourself will.
  • You should always maintain I-9 forms at that employees work site, for INS auditing purposes if indeed you should get audited. If you are the "final" word on all new hires and are working out of a different location-I suggest you be the one to sign off and all I-9 forms for new hires and ship them back to their original work site-confidential of course!
  • How are you going to handle the issue of employee file review. Most states do allow employees to review their files, make notes, etc., -- off site makes that a little difficult. Just something to think about.

I also question how convenient it will be for regulatory agencies to audit files if they are off site. Something else to think about.

Good luck??