skills gap analysis

Our company needs to conduct an assessment of the skills that each employee possesses in the company. Then we need to map the skills to other positions. This is the first time I am attempting this so any help on tools or a procedure would be extremely helpful.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you mean competencies? In the healthcare industry, we need to verify that the employees can meet the competencies expected of them. They are very specific (i.e. a variety of procedures, like drawing blood). Our form is simply a checklist with Yes or No that they have sucessfully demonstrated this competency to a supervisor.
  • If you start by defining all the skills all your employees have, you'll wind up with a lot of useless data about skill-set matches not relevant to your company. I suggest you conduct a full blown job analysis for each job in the company. Once you have fully evaluated each job and its components, you might then conduct an assessment of which employees have requisite skills that fit one or more positions and then launch into your cross training and succession planning. Start with those who are practically qualified for other positions, then move on to those who would like to be or whom you want to require cross-training for. I'm sure the Forum is full of experts in these areas, and I'm not one, but I feel you were putting the cart ahead of the horse. I think I'd put the pegs in the holes rather than trying to wiggle the holes over the pegs.