Appropriate Use of A/V Equipment

We have just purchased a Cable TV feed for several locations in the office, and I am looking for a sample policy or set of guidelines to instruct folks on the appropriate use of this service.

We have several TV monitors for sign-out, and it is relatively easy to monitor the use of those by requiring a statement of intended use for sign-out. However, we have a TV/VCR setup mounted in our largest conference room, and I am concerned that we not have folks wandering in to watch TV over lunch hour or similar use of the TV.

We could obtain some lock and key setup for this monitor, but we still need to make people aware of accepted use of this equipment.

We do not yet have policies on related topics, such as use of the internet, e-mail or the computer for personal or non-work tasks. Our corporate culture is one that is not highly regulated. So far.

Thanks in advance.

Carol

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If your enviroment is not one that is heavily regulated, do you really care about whether people watch TV during their lunch hour?

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Margaret, good question with no easy answer. I think what we care about is limiting personal use of the company's resources (TV, cable, conference room), especially one that we feel could easily get out of control.

I think the next poster's response is one to consider, and is along the lines of the tone we'd want to set.

• Carolyn, I do not think you need a specific "policy" per se, simply put a sign on the monitor that says it is not to be used for personal viewing without approval from ______(whoever will control the permission to use the monitor in the conference room). This is then a "work rule" and can be enforced through your normal disciplinary channels. Good luck.
    Susan Fentin

• >... simply
    >put a sign on the monitor that says it is not to be used for personal
    >viewing without approval from ______(whoever will control the
    >permission to use the monitor in the conference room). This is then a
    >"work rule" and can be enforced through your normal disciplinary
    >channels. Good luck.
    >Susan Fentin

Thanks Susan. This is a start, and a good one. We are also looking for ways to communicate what is acceptable use of the resource for people who borrow the TV montiros as well. But probably we just ought to issue a statement that describes that, without as you say making it a policy.