Salary working at home

I have a salaried employee working at home on the computer. Just a couple hours a day while home with an injured knee. Since she is salaried am I required to pay for a full day since she worked?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is your normal policy for salaried employees who work partial days? That is what you need to do.

We do not deduct/charge PTO or even FMLA here for partial days for salaried employees. Thus if they work part of the day here, or at home, it counts as a full regular paid day.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Does she and her medical issue qualify under FMLA? If yes, then you can pay her on an hourly basis, once designated as FMLA.

If it's not FML and she's just working PT from home, then yes, you have to pay her. Do you hare a partial day pay policy that requires salaried employees to use vacation pay for the balance of partial days worked? Is this just for a few days?
  • Our policy does say that she needs to be paid for any work done for that day. In other words she worked 15 minutes she gets paid. It does not define where the employee needs to be when that work is done. The other thing is the employee recently went to flex time to help take care of her parents instead of using FMLA. The CEO was fine with this and so anytime she falls below 40 hours in a week she fills in with vacation time. She just wants to use vacation to cover the whole week. But what are we required by law to do?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-04-07 AT 01:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I am not sure about how flex time comes into play here, so my answer may not satisfy your whole question. Others will surely have more to add.

If she worked 1 hour each on 3 different days, pay her 3 hours regular salary, pay the rest out of vacation pay, assuming she has that many hours available.

If she has exhausted all vacation/sick pay, you still have to pay her full salary for any partial days worked.
    *Edit: when this happens, we let supervisors "go negative" with their vacation pay. (We accrue PTO bi-weekly, and they pay it back over a somewhat short period of time) Once they reach 20 hours negative, we address it by prohibiting partial days.

If there were any days that she did not work at all, and she has exhausted all of her vacation/sick pay, you do not have to pay for those days.