Quick Question

Do I need to send a copy of a W 4 when an employee claims over a certain amount of dependents. I know that a few years ago that was no longer required and want to make sure the regs are still the same.
Thanks and hurry!!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our guidelines say they can claim up to 7; 8 and above have to sent to IRS. But you need more opinions than just mine.

• The IRS did away with the requirement about 4 years ago. I just need to know if that still remains in place. I don't send anything to the IRS unless required.
    Thanks
  • Q1: In the past, as an employer, I was required to submit all Forms W-4 that claimed complete exemption from withholding (when $200 or more in weekly wages were regularly expected) or claimed more than 10 allowances. What Forms W-4 do I now have to submit to the IRS?
    A1: Employers are no longer required to routinely submit Forms W-4 to the IRS. However, in certain circumstances, the IRS may direct you to submit copies of Forms W-4 for certain employees in order to ensure that the employees have adequate withholding. You are now required to submit the Forms W-4 to IRS only if directed to do so in a written notice or pursuant to specified criteria set forth in future published guidance.
    I answered my own question. I knew that it was somewhere on the IRS link but it took awhile. So FYI to any of you, you don't need to notify the IRS anymore.

• Thank you, that's good to know!!