Changing Pay Periods

Hello,

An employer wants to change from a semi-monthly pay period to a bi-weekly pay period and with-hold the first two weeks pay. I have searched FLSA and Wage and Hour and can not find any assistance with regards to notification to employees or even if we can with-hold the two weeks..... I can't say that I completely agree with this request but have to put "my ducks in a row" to talk to mgmt.

Please help!
Thank you,
Holly

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm sure your state's department of labor would be able to assist you with this. You may want to give them a call.
  • Are your employees hourly or salaried (exempt or non exempt). If hourly, how are you paying them now... aren't you holding back at least something....may be 1 week because how would you know what to pay them?
    I think it should be easy to explain to employees the positive aspects of bi-weekly pay period (pointing out the positives, consistently the same amount each pay day, having a regularly set pay day, paid 26 times a year, etc.)
    I just don't know why you would "hold back 2 weeks" pay, if you aren't doing this already?

E Wart
  • We pay current every-other Friday (bi-weekly).
    We submit payroll on Monday for a Friday paydate, by anticipating they are working their 75 hours during that payperiod. Our workweek is 37.5 hours. On Friday, the non-exempt employees turn in their timesheets for the previous 2 weeks. Any exceptions +/- the normal 75 hours are made the next payperiod. It took me awhile to get used to this method when I first started.
    When a person terminates, there is no delay for their last pay check.