Jury Duty/Mandatory Overtime

We're working on our jury duty policy. Nebraska law says that an employee shall not be subject to loss of pay, sick leave, or vacation time (in a nutshell). Our policy states that an employee should return to work when they are not serving on jury duty.

Our 1st shift production starts at 6 AM. So, theoretically they could work from 6-8:45 each day (I think jury duty starts at 9). However, because they get dirty and do not work in attire that the court would probably deem appropriate for jury duty, I would anticipate at a minimum, they would want to go home for a quick shower and change.

Our latest schedule is that production is working 9-10s (50 hrs week 1, 40 hours week 2). Further 50% of my employees live outside of our small town. The way I understand, my production employees should be paid for a total of 10 hours each day, a combination of hours worked and jury duty pay as earned. If the employee is not able to work any that day (i.e. they live an hour away), then we pay the 10 hours.

Because an employee shall not lose pay, a salaried employee would be paid their standard salary even if they perform jury duty all week.

Less the $35 they receive for serving, of course . . .

Any comments? I'd appreciate it!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds good to me. If I understand your sked, the only thing you didn't mention is if ee serves jury duty on a scheduled day off. Then I guess you don't pay them but they keep their $35.

And if they get out of jury duty before their shift ends, they go to work. That happened to me every day I was on jury duty. For some reason, no lawyer wanted to rest their client's fate in my hands. x}>

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com