Exempt Compensation

Thanks to those who responded to my previous question. I appreciate this forum and the professionalism that exists here.

We have a bona fide plan which includes one personal day, two sick days and then vacation days. IF, a salaried exempt EE wants to take time off without pay (chosing not to use PTO)where do we stand with regard to the FLSA on that one?

Under examination or DOL audit it would seem to be difficult to determine without a specific written request whether the EE was "docked" pay or "requested" non-compensated time off. I'm of the opinion "non-compensated time off" is a bad idea. What are your thoughts HR professionals?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree that non-compensated time for exempts is something to be avoided if at all possible. Puts the exemption in jeopardy. I also despise it when employees seek time off without having to use PTO, vacation or sick time. The reason companies offer time off is to provide a certain number of days off to employees, which is a known amount and can be planned around. Requesting time off without pay when you still have eligible time to use only gives the employee MORE time away from work, even though it's non-compensated. The fact that someone is away from work not performiong their duties is much more costly to the organization than the vacation pay.
  • Thanks VPHR I am in full agreement. The bottom line; you just can't make some people happy