Salaried employees

All of our employees are salaried. There are no time cards with the exception of one part time employee who is paid hourly. All full time employees are salaried. We are a finance company that employees 29 people. We have employees that range from cashiers to managment. We do not pay overtime but then overtime is seldom worked. We also do not dock for doctors appointments or hour late here and there. If an employee misses 1/2 day we use it as a 1/2 day of vacation. Are we setting ourselves up for any liability?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yep. You are treating all employees as exempt. Probably the largest % are non-exempt, which means that you have overtime issues and TIMEKEEPING requirements. This means accurate records of time in and out - not writing down 8 or 40 for your payroll service. The risk is that one or more of your non-exempt employees will claim back pay and you will have no records to prove that they really only worked 45 hours in week x, when they claim they worked 60. Guess who will win?
  • Whether they are exempt or not depends on their duties. But in any event, I would require a time card/sheet from every employee
  • I am sure you have some non-exempt employees. If you do, you do need to have something in writing on their hours. I am not saying it is right, but what we do, is monthly (or weekly or what ever), we have our non-exempt employees complete/sign off on a time card that lists their ours as 8-12 and 1-5. It also states that if an employee works outside of their normal hours (overtime) they are to complete an additional time card for that week and be paid for overtime. Employee signs this. This way we do have something that the employee agreed to this and are not working overtime (but probably being overpaid.)
    Just a suggestion, but you do need to have something in writing... I think time cards are the best.
    E Wart