Exempt Returning 1/2 days from disability

We have an exempt employee out on maternity leave. Due to a large project, we have asked her to return half days (she has been released by the doc and is waiting to get the baby into a day care. I think a grandparent is able to do half day child care in the interim). I told our president that we probably need to do a temporary salary adjustment because as an exempt employee, she's entitled to her "full" salary on the days she works.

He first said we'd have her come in two half days and count it as one day. I said NO. She does have some vacation time that she could use, but our current policy is that exempt employees do not have to use vacation if they work part of the day, so that doesn't exactly fly. His latest suggestion is that we just pay her hourly for the few weeks she is on half days.

His stance is that we did that with a production supervisor that worked half days after shoulder surgery last summer. My argument is that his job duties were drastically different during his half days - he was not allowed on the shop floor AT ALL and conducted some computer training as we were implementing new software at that time. The employee in the current situation would be doing her normal (exempt) duties, so I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

Do I have the proper stance here?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here at M. Lee Smith, I've been working on wage and hour issues lately so let me take a stab at your question. Is your employee on FMLA leave? If so, you should be able to pay her for the time she works and not a full week's salary if I'm reading the following correctly: "Also, an employer is not required to pay the full salary in the initial or terminal week of employment, or for weeks in which an exempt employee takes unpaid leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act." (This comes from [url]http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/fairpay/fs17g_salary.htm[/url], in the paragraph titled "Circumstances in which employer may make deductions from pay.") Since employees may take intermittent leave under FMLA, it seems this would apply to your situation. Talk to a lawyer to be sure. Hope this helps.

Kathy Carlson
  • Calico, if you go back to sometime in October under the HR & Employment Law section, you'll find a thread called "Part-time exempt?" or something very close to that. It has a lot of helpful discussion on this topic.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-18-05 AT 08:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]THANK YOU to both of you! I haven't been reading the boards as closely as I used to, so I missed that previous thread entirely. Specifically, the post that referenced

[url]http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_825/29CFR825.206.htm[/url]

really answered my question and clarified what Kathy said. That link will tell you that the employer may make deductions from the employee's salary for any hours taken as intermittent or reduced FMLA leave within a workweek. Whew!