Timecard Issue - Continued......

The saga continues.....

One of the departments wants to "modify" the process of getting hours worked ultimately into the timekeeping system.

The proposal is that the employee just notes start and stop time. No totalling of hours; no commentary, etc. The Supervisor would then only verify that hours noted are hours worked; again no totalling/commentary, etc.

The timecard admin (an AA) would actually total the hours, determine what hours are to be designated as OT, double time, etc.

I am not going to offer my own opinion here, but would like to hear the forum's feedback.

What say you?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is what our payroll person does. She receives the time cards - totals hours - determines which hours are overtime, paid at a higher rate (based on the actual time worked), paid double time (for holidays, etc) and computes the pay.
  • If your system is not programmed to do these tasks I would think it wise to have a competent admin or accounting clerk do it. It's either that or you have various supervisors applying their 'understanding of the day' and somebody in admin having to audit every one of the timecards and correct some of them. Commentary should not appear on time cards unless there is something that is corrected or was omitted or a similar occurence.

"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot."
    Charlie Chaplin

• Our managers total the time sheets, but payroll checks each one for accuracy and determines the OT hours.
    It an error is noted, the timesheet is returned to the manager. The employee must initial the change in hours.

• This seems like the most logical system to me. Our ee's clock in and out on a time clock that just registers their time. Their supervisors write in any corrections/ommissions, and sign. I glance through them to make sure vacation time is actually available, etc., then our payroll person totals them and figures what qualifies for overtime, holiday pay, etc.

I agree that if you allow individual supervisors to figure the overtime etc, then there will be no consistency.
  • I agree with each one of you to have a "qualified, competent" (payroll) person tally up the hours, note OT, etc. However, we have just outsourced payroll duties. The individuals who are entering time into the timekeeping system (and there are many) are AA's assigned to the various mfg modules. They each received training on keying into the system and were provided guidelines in how to tabulate hours, OT, 2xOT, vacation, and where applicable, note FMLA leave.

I am just terribly uncomfortable having that amount of judgment placed upon an administrative assistant. It doesn't appear though that there is much choice in the matter. The managers and supervisors have delegated this task to their respective AA's, having too many other matters on their plates.